Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right to understand that if this list did not come out.. riders in that list would go on racing and winning races without ever being tested positive ?

Is the blood test so flawed and so easily bypassed ?

If that is so, somehow the statement " I was never tested positive" does not sound so innocent anymore.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Well, they don't really test for EPO, but rather for hemocrit levels (as an indicator of EPO use).

ragger101 said:
Am I right to understand that if this list did not come out.. riders in that list would go on racing and winning races without ever being tested positive ?

Is the blood test so flawed and so easily bypassed ?

If that is so, somehow the statement " I was never tested positive" does not sound so innocent anymore.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
"Am I right to understand that if this list did not come out.. riders in that list would go on racing and winning races without ever being tested positive ?"

Yes, just like Virenque, Zulle, Mussuuew, Millar, etc., etc. never tested positive yet certainly were doping. Which is why when riders say "I never tested positive" in defense of a doping allegation, you should be very skeptical.

"Is the blood test so flawed and so easily bypassed ?"

The blood test that is typically carried out before a stage starts, often to whole teams, I believe is usually just to check hematocrits. If above 50% you can't race, but this is not a failed drug test. The blood test that caught Hamilton was for transfusing someone else's blood. I do not believe a current test is used to check for re-transfusing your own blood, which is why riders are doing it. EPO is detected by a urine test, but at best there is only a 3 day window for a big injection.

"If that is so, somehow the statement " I was never tested positive" does not sound so innocent anymore."

Exactly.

· brownish
241 Posts
I know at this point it seems naive to ask, but how does the whole process work? A rider will give blood to be held and frozen for the future, then takes EPO to enhance their Hematocrit level? How long does the benefit from taking EPO last and how does it affect the rider? Then at what point do the riders have the blood transfusion? And the transfusion is to just cover up the increased Hematocrit levels? EPO can only be detected in the urine? How long after you take EPO is it beneficial?

I guess I'm just real confused as to how the whole process goes down, what happens, what the benefits/effects are and how it is all covered up. If anyone could fill me in on what the riders do I'd appreciate it. Thanks

· Registered
70 Posts
here's some info.....

waterloo said:
I know at this point it seems naive to ask, but how does the whole process work?
Hey waterloo,
I was in the same boat, wondering about how it all works. I googled all day today and came up with some good info at

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0002/inbrief.html
http://www.sportsci.org/index.html (follow link to blood tests, but all links offer good info)

It seems that there are many ways to beat the known tests if you are systematic about it. :rolleyes:

Rash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.