Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Riddler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lost a lot of drive and power in the last couple weeks, I think due to being a little overreached for a little too long. I was planning on getting a blood test to measure some basics, plus cortisol and testosterone. I was wondering if people knew of baseline values for especially the later two figures that would indicate that there has been too much stress on the system. I've never had to do this before so excuse any kind of ignorance on my part. Thanks for the help.

·
The Riddler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure. i guess i was just curious if there was anything obvious i could identify with the results of a cbc+cortisol/testosterone. for instance, you may have reason to feel overly fatigued because x is lower than avg. i have done a little research and know there is little to conclude from blood tests as far as identifying overtraining, but was wondering if anyone knew baseline figures so i could see if anything jumped out.

would a regular RN be able to tell if something was out of line?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wait untill you get the results then post them, be sure to tell your doc you are an endurance athlete and tell him the miles and hours you do each week, FYI endurance athletes even when super fit and peaking for target races will always have lower values for there testosterone and hemocrit levels compared to the general public it goes with the territory. l get my bloods done 2wice a year and they look like they came fron an anemic 12 year old girl lol! My doc told me that l need to start doing some exercise and maybee join a gym :eek: WTF, So l told him l do 200+km a week and he hoestly thought l was yanking his crank, so l told him to google endurance athletes and low testosterone levels well he did change his view a little after that and he tured out to be a nice guy who rides a little himself but shows that GP's know a little about alot but are usually not experts in any one field. Seriously though you'll be fine overreching is normal l do it all the time and live to tell the tale, the body needs to be stressed enough so that it will adapt if we don't push the boundrys often enough there is no reason for adaption and our fitness stays the same and that is not what l wan't but some are happy with there fitness and just maintain what they have, don;t take too much time off if you feel over done your body WILL be adapting and you need to keep on stessing it just drop the intesity and or length of your rides, l never take more than 2 complete days off after which l usually do a 30min balls out effort to see how much l have improved and almost always come away smiling at my new PB. Seriously l think you will be fine hard training puts huge strain on the entire system and with lowered hormone levels comes that tired lethargic depressed feeling that can last days search the forum and you will find threads on this subject a really good diet with plenty of fruits vegies and protiens along with more rest than most are will to give themselves is the key to getting back to full strenght and then some.
NOW go and eat and get some rest:thumbsup:

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Kaparzo said:
would a regular RN be able to tell if something was out of line?
I would guess so, but I honestly don't know. I am pretty share they would be able to tell you something.

·
The Riddler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aussiebullet said:
Wait untill you get the results then post them, be sure to tell your doc you are an endurance athlete and tell him the miles and hours you do each week, FYI endurance athletes even when super fit and peaking for target races will always have lower values for there testosterone and hemocrit levels compared to the general public it goes with the territory. l get my bloods done 2wice a year and they look like they came fron an anemic 12 year old girl lol! My doc told me that l need to start doing some exercise and maybee join a gym :eek: WTF, So l told him l do 200+km a week and he hoestly thought l was yanking his crank, so l told him to google endurance athletes and low testosterone levels well he did change his view a little after that and he tured out to be a nice guy who rides a little himself but shows that GP's know a little about alot but are usually not experts in any one field. Seriously though you'll be fine overreching is normal l do it all the time and live to tell the tale, the body needs to be stressed enough so that it will adapt if we don't push the boundrys often enough there is no reason for adaption and our fitness stays the same and that is not what l wan't but some are happy with there fitness and just maintain what they have, don;t take too much time off if you feel over done your body WILL be adapting and you need to keep on stessing it just drop the intesity and or length of your rides, l never take more than 2 complete days off after which l usually do a 30min balls out effort to see how much l have improved and almost always come away smiling at my new PB. Seriously l think you will be fine hard training puts huge strain on the entire system and with lowered hormone levels comes that tired lethargic depressed feeling that can last days search the forum and you will find threads on this subject a really good diet with plenty of fruits vegies and protiens along with more rest than most are will to give themselves is the key to getting back to full strenght and then some.
NOW go and eat and get some rest:thumbsup:
yeah, i'm pretty aware of when things aren't going right...adding stress isn't really the issue, nor is ignoring it in the right circumstances. big difference between overreaching too far and just plain old overreaching.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kaparzo said:
yeah, i'm pretty aware of when things aren't going right...adding stress isn't really the issue, nor is ignoring it in the right circumstances. big difference between overreaching too far and just plain old overreaching.
Man you must have really dug a deep hole been there once and not going back; 3mths off the bike and 9 mths to get back to where l was, so a powermeter and WKO were ordered now l am looking to reginal then state championships if all goes well.
l hope it sorts it self out but it is a common senario 2much time over reaching will lead to chronic overtraining and forced time off the bike, but as far as l know anyone can bounce back, keep a positive attitude that it is my best advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.