Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode today about 45 miles and near the end of the ride I had a blow out on the rear tire. It blew out with a bang. I think it was a pinch since I was coming off the bike path to the street and I think the rear tire came off the the start of the curb on a drive way. But when I got home and look at the tube I found that the tube was for a 25c tire and I ride on a 23c tire. Could the larger tube be prone to more a pinch problems? The tube is the original tube that came with the bike.

Thanks
Ken

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
No the tube wasn't the problem. It was you coming off the curb that caused the blowout. Most tubes use a range for sizing. I've seen everything from 19-23, 19-26, 23-26, 19-25. As long as the tire size you are using falls within this range, you have the correct sized tube.

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
Tubes are pretty much interchangeable.(a size up or down or so) If the tube is "oversized" all is fine as long as it is installed properly. I normally go with the smallest tubes I can find, they are easier to install and fill the tire up just fine. Putting an oversized tube in a smaller tire might be a bit more difficult and easier to get the excess material caught between rim and tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to watch the more closely for pinch hazards.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
You need the tire to be hard enough so it won't deflect (squash) down so it pinches the tube on the rim. That's how "snakebites" happen. You probably don't want the tires at their maximum pressure unless you're 220#+. High pressures will accomplish several things:
1. Your bike will ride like a brick
2. Your tires will wear faster
3. Your tires will be more prone to cuts & flats
4. Your tires won't roll as fast or as easily at their max pressure. They won't be as fast.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
How old was the tube? Might have been dry rotted if it was really old.

Was there any damage to the tire itself? check the inside and the outside for wear or damage.

Presumably, the tire was seated in the rim correctly, although I guess it's possible that it could blow after 45 miles if it was a little off or maybe the bead is bent or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts