Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright...i think i have fit issues worked out. these bikes all fit pretty well. now i just have to choose a bike. this will be my first cx bike...my first foray into cyclocross. i want a decent bike...but i'm not rich so i want a good value. i do NOT want to spend more than $2000.

what's the best value (in your opinion, of course)?

Blue CX6.5 (used, "like new") $1000: double butted 7005 AL frame, aerus carbon fork, carbon seatpost, mavis aksium wheels, chris king headset, 105 groupset, truvativ crankset, avid shorty six, fsa handlebars

Redline Conquest (used, "like new") $650: double butted 6061 AL frame, U6 alloy fork, ritchey road seatpost, ritchey comp road wheel set, steel threadless headset, fsa compact crank, tiagra front derailleur, 105 rear derailleur, tiagra shifter, tektro oryx brakes, tektro rl 726 brake lever, ritchey road comp stem

Redline Conquest Pro (new) $1400: U6 double butted allo frame, carbon fiber fork, fsa carbon wrap seatpost, ritchey pro wheelset, SRAM Rival derailleurs, SRAM Rival brifters, fsa gossamer crank, avid shorty canti', tektro rl 721 brake levers, fsa stem and bar.

Bianchi Axis (new) $1200: Easton 7005 UltraLite Al frame, carbon fork, LX rear derailleur, tiagra front, tiagra brifters, LX compact crank, avid shorty 4 cantis, carbon seat post, Mavic CXP-22 alloy wheelset, Deda Piega bar, alloy stem.

Bianchi Cross Concept (new) $2000: scandium 7000 frame with carbon rear triangle, carbon fork, ultegra rear derailleur, 105 front, 105 brifters, fsa gossamer crank, avid shorty 4 canti's, carbon seatpost, Mavic Aksium, Deda Piega bars.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I can't recommend anything on your list because I have no experience with them. But I have been looking at the GT GTR Type CX (6061 aluminium, Easton fork, SRAM Rival Group, $1,700), unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for any more bikes after the current one is finished, so I'm trying to convince my brother to buy one and let me race it.

BTW, if you're located near Madison, WI, and ride a 57, I could point you in the direction of a sweet LBS deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Conquest Pro and love it, IMO you can't go wrong with it. It is a fast bike off and on road. I race it and use it as a commuter bike sometimes. It performs well in both regards. The Blue seems like the best next deal to me- 105 gruppo is heavier than the Rival on the Conquest Pro. I think the Rival is on par weight-wise with Ultegra, may be lighter. The Bianchi CC sounds nice, but a little overpriced with the 105 gruppo, although it does have the scandium frame.

·
Registered
391 Posts
if you were sold on racing I'd recommend going with either of the "like-news" to budget in the race wheels (and tires $$) you'll want before long. Not to mention possible replacemnt parts.

for tryracing / training / commuting they're all good bikes in a range of prices, new-like and like-new. each is a good choice at different price point. You won't make a bad pick from this pack.

my personal choice - Redline Pro

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
d2p said:
if you were sold on racing I'd recommend going with either of the "like-news" to budget in the race wheels (and tires $$) you'll want before long. Not to mention possible replacemnt parts.

for tryracing / training / commuting they're all good bikes in a range of prices, new-like and like-new. each is a good choice at different price point. You won't make a bad pick from this pack.

my personal choice - Redline Pro
i think i'm leaning towards the blue...i can now get it for $900. that'll leave me plenty in the budget for my other cycling expenses (my road bike, touring, and a future mtb!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.