Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about these frames? I'm particularly interested in the RC4-AL.

Looks like a nice frameset and it retails for ~$550. I'm thinking about selling the TCR Team and getting something with a CF rear, a bit shorter TT and a bit shorter wheelbase. The Blue fits all of that. Giant TT=53.5, Blue=52.5. Giant chainstay=40cm, Blue=40.5. Giant wheelbase=975mm, Blue wheelbase=956mm.

So let me know what you all think. Also, do you think that I can sell the Giant frameset to cover the cost of the new frame? The Giant is a 2001 TCR Team Euro Anodized size small with an Easton EC90 all carbon fork.

I'm just kicking the idea around really. Also I can't do a test ride on this frame, the closest dealer is Upstate, not really close at all.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has owns or has ridden one of these frames. Recently saw them at my LBS and it looked like really nice quality, for a SRP of $550. None are built up however, so would like some info about how they ride, if anybody has tried one.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
PixelPaul said:
I'm wondering if anyone has owns or has ridden one of these frames. Recently saw them at my LBS and it looked like really nice quality, for a SRP of $550. None are built up however, so would like some info about how they ride, if anybody has tried one.
Can't say I know loads about them. British company trying to break into the U.S.. I think their roots are in triathlon. They sponsored a triathlete friend of mine for a while. I think he was riding a Blue when he won the '04 USAT collegiate championship, and crashed it at the under-23 worlds in Portugal. He liked it fine, but maybe a bit less than his Orbea. Blue has since pulled back on sponsorships. This is all second-hand, but it sounded like they were really trying to figure out what their business model was for penetrating the U.S. market. They're nice-looking bikes, but it doesn't seem that they have much of an infrastructure in the U.S., so I might wonder about their longevity for frame warranty if you're concerned about that sort of thing. Again, this is all second-hand, YMMV, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
PixelPaul said:
I can't help on the RC4-AL, but I do have the RC4 carbon. I just got it a little over a month ago and have nearly 1000 miles on it. It has a good ride and great handling. It is nice and stiff so accelration and climbing are where I want them. The finish on the bike is great, equal to anything out there. I am getting a little noise right now, but I was messing with the handlebars and headset this weekend so that may be it. Other than that, no complaints.

Roadracer

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've seen and ridden the full carbon one. It's a very nice bike. Especially for the price. The paint is high quality and the ride is great. Torsionally stiff and excellent vibration damping. The owner of my LBS, hammerheadbikes.com, has one which he also lets double as a demo. I want to get one as soon as I can get money set aside. Spending too much on the mtb these days...

I dug up this old thread because I wanted to see what other opinions were out there.
http://www.rideblue.com/products.html

For some reason I thought they were based in AZ?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This being Christmas weekend, it's tough. I talked with Sandy at Glory Cycles in FL about this frame and he had positive remarks about it and it is the frame he is currently riding. . Current price is 5 bills. (Quite affordable as I was thinking it was made in the far east at this price originally. I'll have to see where the CF tubes originate though.)

After I get a bit more info, this is what I will likely build up. The geometry nearly matches my Atala in all measurments except for the slightly sloping TT which is 3 cm lower. It will be interesting for this old school rider to have a contemporary ride.

The other choice was an Argon 18 -Radon but I haven't been able to discuss this with any local shops yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have at least 3000 miles on it

i use the rc4al to commute in the smokies. the construction is great. the paint seems to be of high quality and is tastefully done. also the tubing has a "colnago"esque clover shape. the ride quality is very good, stiff bb; however, comfy ride. this frameset is a great deal. $550 for frame w/carbon seatstays, carbon fork painted to match frame w/ alloy steerer tube and internal headset w/ sealed bearings. i'm actually in the process of selling this frame to purchase the all-carbon version of the same frame.

a side note about Blue, the company is based in Norcross GA, the frames are built in taiwan. the president is a former pro racer, and his wife is the current criterium champ tina pic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a womans team or two who are sponsored by them, Quark is the team I believe. You could allways contact someone there through there web page with specific questions and I am sure someone will reply. I usually find that racers are pretty honest about there bikes positive points (leave out the negetive sometimes thos) but you would get a better idea of the bike.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Sponsor.

I just received an email from the coach of my team two days ago and Blue is going to ge a sponsor. I can't report anything yet although at the end of the season whaen some of my team mates have ridden gthe frames for the season I'll have more to report. Team pricing seems to distort someone's perception although, many guys on the team like the Kenda tires since we get them for very little and I think they are garbage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No personal experience, but...

A friend of mine who's a shop owner rode the AC4-Al for a few months. He felt it did the job fine, but wasn't anything special. He also noted that the head tubes are very short, so he needed a lot of spacers to get the proper stem height, which hasn't been a problem for him on other frames.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No complaints, great value

I don't have too many miles on my RC4-Al yet (~300-400) but I really like the frame so far. As another poster said it is a fairly comfortable ride, but I don't feel any noticable flex when climing out of the seat or sprinting (6'2" 170lbs). I couldn't find anything in that price range that had the features/styling/geometry of the Blue.

I also liked the fact that some fit and fork questions were answered directly by the president (I believe), Tina Pic's husband when I emailed them through the site and when I called them. Came close to pulling the trigger on a Douglas (Colorado Cyclist) frame and fork but I'm happy with the Blue.

Beautiful paint job complements the tube shapes very well. As a previous poster mentioned, the head tubes are short so I do have more spacer stack then I'd like to, but this comes in handy when I want to put the bullhorns/aerobars on for tri-season (low tuck). If anything I would have liked a stiffer fork, but I can't really say that this causes handling problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
prices

retail for rc6: $1800 rc4: $1250.00 rc5al: $600.00 rc4al: $550.00

I also previously incorrectly stated Chris Pic as pres. but is actually sales manager and product developer.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
They had a big demo set up at Six Gap Century this year. I thought they were gorgeous. Okay, that doesn't help, but I'm just sayin'...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts