Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a pretty sweet deal from Bikewagon.com on the Blue Competition Cycles RD1.1 (mens) and WRD1.1 (womens) models equipped with SRAM Rival group. $1199 + $64 shipping (to Virginia).

From my research, this bike gets pretty solid reviews, although it is not an especially well-known brand. Most reviewers comment on how pretty the bike is and how comfortable it is (re. road shock dampening). There are some reviews here on Roadbikereview forum and two videos on youtube that are worth watching.

As of right now, there appear to be Mens in Small and Womens in Large, Small, and XSmall. Frame dimensions are identical on both versions and the differences are mostly in graphics. I actually prefer the graphics on the womens bike (WRD1.1). It looks like the mens uses an FSA crank and the womens is SRAM Rival throughout. The womens bike also gets a WSD gel saddle.

Note's about Blue Competition: It sounds like they were having some financial challenges, but were recently acquired, so maybe things are looking up for them. The Blue website (rideblue.com) says lifetime warranty on the frame from authorized dealers (don't know if bikewagon is authorized or not). I contacted one of my preferred dealers who also sells Blue to see if he could order this bike, but the factory is out of them. Guess that Bikewagon bought remaining stock of this discontinued model and has priced them to sell.

Here's a link showing what is available at Bikewagon:
Search results for: 'rd1' - Bikewagon

The finish really shows well on the womens WRD bike. Use the slider below the picture and you can really see the 'swirly' carbon finish on the frame. Hope it looks this good in person. Blue Competition Cycles WRD1.1 SRAM Rival Women's Complete Road Bike - Bikewagon

Note that even though the price shows at $1199, it sometimes changes to $2400 when you add it to the cart. Recommend you call them if this happens to you. We bought one for my wife yesterday, so I can confirm that the deal is good at $1199. UPS tracking received.

Here's a link to the Blue website for this discontinued model: URL="http://www.rideblue.com/rd1.php"]http://www.rideblue.com/rd1.php[/URL] and the warranty page Ride Blue

Happy riding.
From Bikewagon website

Blue Competition Cycles RD1.1 SRAM Rival Complete Road Bike

If you are wanting to take your riding performance to the next level, a Blue Competition Cycles bike just may be what you need. Steeped in winning tradition, riders who ride Blue Competition Cycles bikes have won almost every major race across the board. So, whether you are an amateur athlete or a serious roadie, if you're into cyclocross or even cross country mountain biking, you just may find yourself at the top of the podium on your next race.

Bike Type: Road
Wheel Size: 700c
Year Model: 2011
Size: X-Small
Frame: Aerus Composites T7000 high-modulus carbon fiber
Fork: Aerus composites C4FK full carbon fork
Headset: FSA Orbit 1-1/8" zero stack
Stem: Aerus 6061 AL Elite 31.8
Handlebars: Aerus 6061 Elite Alloy 31.8
Grips: Bar tape
Brakes: SRAM Rival
Front Derailleur: SRAM Rival 34.9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Rival
Shift Levers: SRAM Double-Tap
Cassette: SRAM 1050 12-27T
Chain: SRAM 1030
Crankset: FSA Omega compact MEGA EXO 50/34T
Bottom Bracket: English thread
Pedals: N/A
Rims: American Classic Victory
Tires: Maxxis Fuse
Saddle: Blue Competition
Seatpost: Aerus Composites 6061 elite alloy 31.6

Color: Black

New

Bike ships unassembled. For your safety, we recommend that you have a professional bicycle mechanic assemble this bike.

·
HERKWO
726 Posts
Great option & Blue makes some nice bikes. If it will fit you, I doubt you'll regret the purchase.
Here is another great option form Jensonusa: Rocky Mountain Solo 70 for $1199. Rocky Mountain is not as well known in the road bike arena but is well known for their mountain bikes. This one still has most sizes available, is mostly Shimano 105 components, comes with a free bike build, and free S&H. I purchased a Jamis for my daughter from them years ago & was pleased w/ the entire process.
Rocky Mountain Solo 70 CR Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great option & Blue makes some nice bikes. If it will fit you, I doubt you'll regret the purchase.
Here is another great option form Jensonusa: Rocky Mountain Solo 70 for $1199. Rocky Mountain is not as well known in the road bike arena but is well known for their mountain bikes. This one still has most sizes available, is mostly Shimano 105 components, comes with a free bike build, and free S&H. I purchased a Jamis for my daughter from them years ago & was pleased w/ the entire process.
Rocky Mountain Solo 70 CR Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
Hey, Herkwo, that also looks very nice. We are actually replacing my wife's Rocky Mountain Oxygen 50 bought from JensonUSA last year! The Oxy 50 is an aluminum bike with Shimano 105. It's been a great bike, very nice riding, and it required only minimal tweaking out of the box - maybe an hour of assembly and setup time. We weren't even looking to replace the Rocky Mountain, but the Blue deal looked too good to pass on (plus I *really* like the SRAM setup now that I'm used to it). Cheers!

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
I rode a Blue carbon CX bike the first year they came out back in 2009 or so. Loved that ride. They make some great bikes, and these are really great deals. I actually bought my Fuji Altamira 1.0 from Bikewagon, and it's the best deal I've ever gotten on a bike. They had the steep discounts already, and then I got to apply a 20% code on top of it. Altamira 1.0 + Dura Ace for less than 2k is insane.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very pleased so far

My wife's Blue WRD1.1 came today. Probably the nicest bike I have ever seen for that price. Really, really attractive finish on the carbon - very unique. The graphics are quite pretty as well. It came with a Selle Italia "Lady" gel saddle. Size small frame and the bike out of the box without pedals weighs 18.4 lbs.

Very surprised that the steerer tube is carbon fiber. That's not something I expected.
The downtube is huge and completely round, so not terribly aero in that department. SRAM Rival throughout. The wheels are Mavic Aksium Races. The seatpost is aluminum and very long - long enough for me (5'7") to fit this bike (size small) and only would want a 110mm steering stem. I think you could get this bike down into the sub-17 lb territory just changing some easy bits like the seat post, stem, steering spacer rings and cap, and the wheels.

Setup was less than an hour. Mostly everything was adjusted well in the first place. Took it for a very brief ride (2 miles) in the cold with just some mountain bike platform pedals. My initial impression is that it is very smooth and dampens road vibration quite well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.