Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
Day 1:

. We got to the start of Skyland Drive- or "the drive". They said that they don't really recommend bicycling along "the drive", so we kept driving. .
That's news to me. The Skyline Drive is one of my favorite rides. I have done it about once per year since 2002. I havn't been out there yet this year, but I am thinking about riding it sometime in June. I only have ridden on a very small part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I will grant you that there is less traffic on the Parkway than on the Skyline Drive, but the Skyline Drive has very little traffic compared to almost any other road I have ridden in the Mid-Atlantic, the road surface is very good and you don't have to carry much food if you are on a road bike -- there are stores and/or restaurant facilities about every 25 miles.

I sounds like you had fun in any event. It sure beats working.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
It was news to me too. haha. We got to the first information center, and she asks if they have anything to say about it. I can't remember her exact words, or how she said it, but she said something like "We don't really recommend it." So basically, since we didn't really have any sort of plan other than "to ride the parts of the blue ridge parkway", and skyline drive isn't technically part of the blue ridge parkway, we just left.

Another interesting thing was that pretty much every ranger we talked to reminded us to be careful, and to always ride in a single file line. I thought it was interesting. I've probably never been told to be careful so many times in one week. Maybe there is a higher accident rate on the blue ridge parkway???
I think there are probably were a couple of things going on here.

Insofar as the first information center is concerned, I would not be surprised if a lot of people try to ride a bike on the Skyline Drive from Front Royal and have some real problems very quickly. The first five or six miles of the Skyline Drive are an unrelenting climb and most of the first 20 miles are uphill. Although I would think from what you and your traveling companion look like in the photos that you posted that the folks in the information center would be able to figure out that you were not the usual tourist who has not been on a bike since last year's vacation and that you could handle a few climbs.

I never have had any problems with traffic or drivers on the Skyline Drive. But, one thing that I have noticed is that there are a lot of drivers who are gazing at the scenery rather than their looking at the road. I have seen more than one driver who was weaving on the road as if he or she were drunk, but realized that he or she just was looking at the great vista to the right or the left rather than looking straight ahead. Also, the average age of the drivers on the Skyline Drive during the week is well above what you would find on a normal road and a lot of them tend to drive very large vehicles. I still think that the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are cycling friendly. But, it also probably is a good idea to be careful when riding around someone old enough to be your grandfather or grandmother who is driving an RV and looking at the cute deer on the side of the road rather than the lycra-clad cyclist just up ahead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts