Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
BMC pro machine

I've got one built up w/Campy Record, Ksyrium SL's, EC90 bar/stem/post, and Zero Gravity Ti brakes. Very fast, tracks very well, a great climber. It is a bit nervous but the ride is quite smooth for the weight - 15.5lbs w/pedals, cages & computer. My mechanic did recently discover some play w/the crank which could be a stripped thread in the BB shell. BMC is sending a new frame.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any other time on similar carbon frames to compare with the BMC? Was BMC very will to work with you concerning warranty? What size did you go with and do you feel it was true to size? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
pro machine

Vastly superior to Trek, Fuji. Lighter and more responsive than my Orbea Orca. Not as smooth as my Vamoots, but lighter for climbing. My mechanic is handling the warranty issue. They seem to be good about it, but there is a delay in delivery as production runs are smaller than other large companies. I have a size 49 which has a 53cm top tube. I normally ride a 51 or 52cm, so use top tube measurement as your guide for their sizing.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, I currently have a S-Work Tarmac and am wondering if the BMC would be an improvement, the S-Works is really nice and reides very well. I was looking into ordering a 49cm also but am running into the same availability issues, what kind of timeline have they given you? I am 5' 6" with a 30" inseam, do you think the 49 would be a good fit, how tall are you? Thannks again!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
BMC Frame Size

The Pro Machine is available in odd sizes between 47cm-61cm with a progressively sloping geometry. On smaller sizes where added standover clearance is needed most the slope of the top tube is at its greatest. On the medium sizes the slope is moderate. On the largest sizes there is virtually no slope at all. This being the case, we recommend that you focus first and foremost on top tube length when selecting frame size. (From competitive cyclist web site)

Competitivecyclist.com also has some useful information about sizing the frame and excellent pictures of the Pro frame.They also have a fit calculator that you enter your measurements into and it gives a range of sizes that they think would be appropriate for your top tube and seat tube as well as a guide to setting up the bike.

Have you talked to anyone else who has ridden the Pro frame? If you have please leave their feedback. I too am seriously considering purchasing the Pro

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, just the other person who has post some information, seems as if availablity is limited at this point! Just really wondering how it will stack up against the S-Works Tarmac. Not alot of folks ride this thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pro machine sizing

I'm 5' 5" and the 49cm is a good fit. Have not ridden the Tarmac as their top tube lengths don't work for me. Don't have an ETA on the replacement frame but I would say it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMCVA, would love to see photos of the bike complete, mostly since that is the size I am going to get! So the frame was fine no problems? Cycle 21...I do not know where you are at but I am a BMC dealer and could get a 47cm Pro Machine for you and send it to you (when they become available). Call me if you are intrested 828-759-1990 (12:00pm - 6:00pm EST). Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Team Machine SLT 01

Same problem for me, no bike shops in my area carrying these bikes. Anyone out there have a Team Machine SLT 01 - thumbs up/down. I have test rode the full carbon cannondale and find it pretty smooth and my buddies kestrel evoke, also a good stiff ride. Love the BMC frames and would like to get some feedback before making the big purchase. I'm am just shy of 5'5" and did the kit calculator and for the top tube length I am a 49 but for the rest of the measurements I am 51 and 53. Makes sense to get the 49.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lemond111, I think the SLT 01 is available in a 49cm size; I understand you want to ride one first but that bike in that frame size seems to be one of the few available at this point from BMC. Do you have a local dealer?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do have a local bike shop that can get BMC but they will only order the bike if I want to purchase it. Kinda sucks. They also said that they especially would not order a small frame like this but it seems to be the more popular size on this forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Team Machine

I've got an SLT 01 Team Machine and I love it. It's comfortable enough for all day rides and it handles like a cat on the carpet. It Dura Ace with FSA cranks, Zero Gravity brakes and Ksyrium ES wheels. It's not a 15 lb ultralight but at @250lbs that matters little to me. On the scale with cages, pedals and computer it comes in at a bit over 16.5 lbs. If you feel the need to knit pick and point out all of it's flaws just think about what my mother always told me...If you don't have something nice to say...Go [email protected]*# yourself.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That bike Looks really sweet!!! Our shop in NC has a SLC 01 Pro Machine coming in to day...I cannot wait since this will be the first high-end BMC I has gotten to chek out up close!! Thanks for posting the photo, it looks great!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome bike. I am not a big weight junky so the wt. of your bike is fine with me. I have a lemond zurich steel frame so anything will be better. Once I get the team bmc, I will miss schooling some of the guys I ride and race with on my steel bike c/w their $3-5,000 bikes.
Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm pretty interested in the BMC as well. (Not enough postings about 'em.)

Can those who've ridden them talk more about their ride characteristics?

I'm looking for my first carbon frame and I like a really stiff frame, but light, if possible too. Although, I'm a small guy 5' 8" @ 145 lbs, I can still sprint and climb pretty well. Hence the the desire for a stiff, light bike. Besides that, I love the naked carbon look of the one above. Post more pics!

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.