Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm poor as dirt, yet I LOVE this bike and want to get it.....I rode a friends '07 and I instantly fell in love. I really want the new black/green road racer. The frameset alone is $1600. Think it would be possible to escape with a complete bike w/ decent parts in the $2500 range? i can upgrade components (ie wheels...) when i get more cashola in this economy :blush2:

about me: I have a 7 year old trek junker that is heavy as a car. I ride everyday to work M-F, roundtrip 11 1/2 miles rain or shine! i would like to enter long distance events sometime (i live in the pacific NW) and would love to ride 50-100 miles on this beauty of beauties! :D not particularly interested in racing but wouldn't turn one down per se, never have done one because my trek is just.....slowwwww and heavyyy:cryin:

PS how inflated are the prices at competativecyclist? The lowest priced option for the road racer is $3100. I imagine the same parts (Ultrega SL) could be had at my bike shop for cheaper than this?

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
poorasdirt said:
Hi, I'm poor as dirt, yet I LOVE this bike and want to get it.....I rode a friends '07 and I instantly fell in love. I really want the new black/green road racer. The frameset alone is $1600. Think it would be possible to escape with a complete bike w/ decent parts in the $2500 range? i can upgrade components (ie wheels...) when i get more cashola in this economy :blush2:

about me: I have a 7 year old trek junker that is heavy as a car. I ride everyday to work M-F, roundtrip 11 1/2 miles rain or shine! i would like to enter long distance events sometime (i live in the pacific NW) and would love to ride 50-100 miles on this beauty of beauties! :D not particularly interested in racing but wouldn't turn one down per se, never have done one because my trek is just.....slowwwww and heavyyy:cryin:

PS how inflated are the prices at competativecyclist? The lowest priced option for the road racer is $3100. I imagine the same parts (Ultrega SL) could be had at my bike shop for cheaper than this?
You can buy the green bmc w/sram rival for $2900 from competitivecyclist.com

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
If you can ride a 56 or 58...cycletofitness.com has an orange frame for $698. You could buy a groupset and wheels, etc..and easily get away with a sub $2500 build, heck sub $2000 would be doable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Uh, if it's the color your're after, I can't help.

If it's the ride, though, you should consider a streetfire. The Road Racer you took for a ride was essentially a Streetfire with carbon stays. The new Road Racer is essentially the Racemaster with more aluminum.

You can pick up one of those Streetfires from CC right now for $1500. A steal if you ask me. You can also currently get the frame/fork/post/headset combo from any bike shop through QBP for a crazy discount.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
My LBS sells the '08 SL01 with a full Ultegra build (everything from crank to brakes) for $2000. Since I'm in Alaska and things generally cost more up here, you should be able to beat that.

I'm in the process of building up a '07 frameset.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price drop?

I think BMC has dropped prices across the board. I just got an SL01 UltegraSL build from my LBS for under 2300... I may need to upgrade some stuff later on, but I'm thrilled with the bike out-the-door... this is the 2009, btw

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
DTewes said:
I think BMC has dropped prices across the board. I just got an SL01 UltegraSL build from my LBS for under 2300... I may need to upgrade some stuff later on, but I'm thrilled with the bike out-the-door...
pictures, please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heh - I'll try to do that soon. It looks pretty much like the stock catalog photos, orange & white, but I didn't go for white tape or saddle. Has a Ritchey stem and bar, Fizik Alliante Gamma saddle, and Mavic Aksium wheels, tires are Continental, so nice but nothing particularly visual or individual... the Ultegra SL components are the ice-gray finish, which is cool, tho...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Streetfire SSX or Roadracer?

interested to hear the concensus. would you order the SSX for $1500 with Rival, or spend the extra $600 for the Roadracer with Force?

·
Registered
14 Posts
where are you seeing the road racer w/ force for 2100? I would personally go for the road racer; the streetfire is a great bike, but I invested in the carbon for a little xtra smoothness, plus I prefer the aesthetics of the road racer. I'm an older, less experienced rider, so take that into consideration. I rented a streetfire for a week and actually bought one before i learned of the road racer deal. Either way, you'll be getting a great bike for the $...

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
DTewes said:
Heh - I'll try to do that soon. It looks pretty much like the stock catalog photos, orange & white, but I didn't go for white tape or saddle. Has a Ritchey stem and bar, Fizik Alliante Gamma saddle, and Mavic Aksium wheels, tires are Continental, so nice but nothing particularly visual or individual... the Ultegra SL components are the ice-gray finish, which is cool, tho...
A picture is worth a thousand words.:)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
1. wait for the 2010s to come out then get the 2008 or 2009 on closeout.
2. competitivecyclist sells frames at about what others do. they are selling high end bikes only and are not trying to catch price based shoppers - they provide great service and great products.
3. if you buy from them make the phone call and i bet you can negotiate a little off especially on the gruppo. might be worth it to wait for the new sram force.

·
Registered
14 Posts
model years

loudog said:
1. wait for the 2010s to come out then get the 2008 or 2009 on closeout.
2. competitivecyclist sells frames at about what others do. they are selling high end bikes only and are not trying to catch price based shoppers - they provide great service and great products.
3. if you buy from them make the phone call and i bet you can negotiate a little off especially on the gruppo. might be worth it to wait for the new sram force.
I'm new to cycling, so I don't know if this applies, but I also heard that BMC is moving away from model year designations to make it easier for their dealers to move existing inventory... so there may not be a 2010 model line debut per se...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts