Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 60 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hey Pons,

I don't have a scale to weigh it on. Next time I'm at the shop, if I remember I'll ask them to weigh it for me.

Honestly, I gave zero consideration to weight when building the bike. None. I didn't even research the weight of the bike before I bought it.

Being 6'5" (195cm) and 225lbs (102kg), a few grams of weight on a 61cm bike is not going to make a lot of difference.

Other than a short spin around the parking lot, I still haven't even ridden it. It's been really crappy weather. Either heavy, cold rain, or temps in the teens. Neither of those are conducive to a nice 'get to know you' shakedown ride. Especially considering it was my first time building a bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

I'll take it for a long ride on the next decently warm (above 40f) dry day. The way things are going, it might be March though. :)

Edit: I almost ordered the Orange/Black ultegra bike. I considered that vs the Team Red frameset. I was kinda torn on the color choices. Unfortunately, the BMC rep told me that there were not black/orange Ultegra Di2 bikes available until early 2017, and my money was burning a hole in my pocket. So I went with the frameset option.

I'm really curious about how yours looks. Please post some pictures of it in natural lighting when you get it. I'm also interested in your impressions of the stock wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really curious about how yours looks. Please post some pictures of it in natural lighting when you get it. I'm also interested in your impressions of the stock wheels.
I had a chance to have two test bikes in size 58 and 61 with me at home for 5 days, I really enjoyed this test phase. The bike is great in every situation, I set my new PR up and downhill!

About the stock wheels... I'm not such a big expert, what I can say is that in comparison to the alluminuim DT Swiss R32 tested on the non-Di2 Roadmachine 01, the 3T roll very well, also on climbs, making the bike more reactive. They also look very nice in the carbon-stealth finish, they only could have been a little more aero (40mm instead 32mm).

Here some real pics of the bike, I really like the orange-black contrast, making it very original with a fresh style:

IMG_2997.jpg IMG_2937.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2938.jpg

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That orange looks really nice in natural light. I think I actually like it better than the Team Red...

I was at the shop and weighed my bike today. Ready to ride, including pedals (no bottle cages) and 28mm tires, it came in at 17.75 lbs (8.0kg). It's the largest size available (61cm) and is built with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2 components.

Here are a few pictures of the bike in natural light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New colorscheme for 2017 RM1:
- Team Red (matte) IMG_0491.jpg
- Grey IMG_0493.jpg
- Blue (matte) waiting for an official picture

Comes form Velofollies Belgium ... Team will officially rides it on spring classics (cobbles)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, I am thinking of ordering a Roadmachine01 and just saw the photos of the red frameset. So I have got 2 questions: 1.) does anybody know the reason why BMC added a cover / protection plate (or whatever it is) in the area where the seatpost is inserted into the Frame? If so, will it come with new models only? 2.) Does anybody have Problems with slipping seatposts on their roadmachines? Thank you guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I am thinking of ordering a Roadmachine01 and just saw the photos of the red frameset. So I have got 2 questions: 1.) does anybody know the reason why BMC added a cover / protection plate (or whatever it is) in the area where the seatpost is inserted into the Frame? If so, will it come with new models only? 2.) Does anybody have Problems with slipping seatposts on their roadmachines? Thank you guys!
Hi
I just saw this plastic cover on a RM01 in a shop (see pic), I suppose the old little piece (round) was easy to lose. I saw it on a "old" color scheme model.
Second, I must say that the seatpost is a bit slippy, you have to close it a bit more than recommended, then it is OK.

IMG_8912.JPG
I

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Pons, thank you very much for your answer! This helps a lot in my decision.
It seems there was no major change to the frame, but only to the cover / protection
around the seatpost and the seatpost bolt.
Great photo, exactly what I wanted to see! ;-)

Anyone else who noticed the seatpost slipping in when tightened with the recommended
torque? I just want to figure out if it is a problem with this bike, as I read several test reports
and 2 of those said that the seatpost is slipping in. I already tested one bike before I knew
anything about the seatpost and the seatpost on the testbike did not perform well….
( my weight is 80 kgs, which should be still ok for this bike) Thank you guys!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Second, I must say that the seatpost is a bit slippy, you have to close it a bit more than recommended, then it is OK.
No, this does not make it OK, this is VERY bad.

You don't over-tighten a seatpost clamp to stop the seatpost from slipping, you remove the post, clean it, and apply a generous amount of thick carbon assembly paste. You then re-install it and use NO MORE than the recommended torque setting. The recommended setting is a MAX, it's not like a speed limit on the roads you can just disobey or go over all the time. Don't be stupid, don't do what's quoted above, never go over a recommend torque spec for any reason.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My seatpost slipped down on my first ride. It was more of a migration over an hour and a half. It was down about 3mm at the end of the ride.

It had been installed exactly to spec torque with carbon paste.

I took it into the shop where I bought it and they re-installed it with fresh carbon paste and an allen key (no torque wrench), probably a little more torque that spec'd.

I have only had it out for one short 20 mile ride since then and it was fine.

I suspect I will end up warrantying the frame with them due to this. It's kind of a bummer. I really like the black/red color scheme.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Migen21, this is very sad story....hope you get it replaced under warranty.did you try montage paste? This is exactly why i am interested in the seatpost / seatpost clamp issue. I thought there were done any changes to the seatpost clamp as I saw the pictures of the red frame. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Migen21, this is very sad story....hope you get it replaced under warranty.did you try montage paste? This is exactly why i am interested in the seatpost / seatpost clamp issue. I thought there were done any changes to the seatpost clamp as I saw the pictures of the red frame. Anyone else having this problem?
Well, the guys at the shop told me they have had a few people come back and complain about a slipping seatpost (although certainly not all of them). They gave me the impression that they cleaned it, re-applied carbon paste and re-installed using an allen key and that no one has come back.

Also, I'm 6' 5"/195cm and 225lbs/100kg. Slipping seatposts isn't some new thing for me.

I'm not too worried about it. The company and the shop have a good reputation for warranty stuff. If this ends up being a problem (it's still TBD as far as I'm concerned), I won't have any trouble getting it replaced.

If I were having to deal with online ordering, and shipping for return/rebuild, I'd probably be a lot more frustrated, but this shop is a few miles from my house, and directly along my normal riding routes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@migrn21...i am not considering online orders,but the di2 ultegra model will definitley kill my bank account. Therefore there will be no funds left if it turns out that the bike does not work for me. Lets say: i have 1 shot.;-) and the bike should work for some years (5plus). This is why i am asking for “real world experiences“ of real users. For me it would be the only bike for the next years. A slipping seatpost would mean that I can not use it. And I can not justify this to my wife:).... not in that price area....if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't worry about it. Just the opposite. As you said, it's a lot of money, and your expectation that it works perfectly right out of the box is definitely not unreasonable.

When I considered the RM-01, I did ponder the unusual seatpost and stem/steerer/riser design. My biggest concern going into it was that I was locked into BMC's proprietary hardware (seatpost, stem, riser, spacers). I was concerned if I needed a different stem length, or a different spacer setup, those items would be hard to get. I even talked with the regional rep, who was in the shop one day when I was there. He assured me that there would be availability of the stems in all varieties, and spacers would be coming in 1/2 cm and 1 cm increments. He showed me a few samples he had brought with him. That was enough for me. My fit on the 61cm out of the box with the included riser and stem was right where I wanted it to be. It's a slight bit lower and longer than my GF-01 was, which is just what I wanted. I don't anticipate needing to dial in the fit much, and the included hardware should be adequate for that.

As I mentioned before, this is not my first experience with a slipping seatpost. In fact, every bike I've owned has had this problem to some degree. The exception being my Ti Volagi with a Ritchey carbon seatpost, which has never slipped. In every case, eventually, after the first few rides, the problem seems to resolve itself. My GF-01 seatpost (standard 27.2mm round post) slipped down slowly on my first few rides. Eventually it stopped doing it and has been fine for over 10k miles. Similar situation on my gravel bike (Norco Search). First ride it slipped a bit. I moved it back up, re-applied paste and re-torqued, and it's been fine since.

On the Roadmachine seatpost, I didn't even notice the seat being lower until the very end of my first 2hr ride, just as I had gotten back to my starting point. My first thought was that I had forgotten to paste/torque it when I did the final assembly, but when we took the post out in the shop, it did have a healthy application of paste on it, and I'm usually pretty thorough when I do final assembly to make sure everything is torqued to spec. It's possible I neglected to do it. I had finished building back in early December and hadn't ridden it until last weekend.

I'm not worried about a catastrophic failure at all. In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd wager that the seatpost is going to be fine in the long run. However, I'm prepared to deal with the warranty thing if I have to.

I'm in the middle of a 14 week indoor winter training block. Next Sunday will be the next chance I get to ride it outside (weather permitting). I'll update this thread as I get more miles on the bike and see if the slipping persists.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Migen 21: thank you for your Information. I am very interested in your next "seatpost experience"... @MMSrepBike: this may be correct, but if a slightly overtightened bold is the only solution (...).. But your Explanation leads me to an other question: how does the seatpost clamp of the RM01 look like? is it the same as for TM01?
If so, the only damage which could result from overtightening could be a damaged screw / windings of the clamp. For sure this is not nice, but will be by far cheaper than a damage to the Frame.

Does anybody know how the clamp Looks like?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've not taken mine out to examine it closely. It is similar to that design.

If I have some time later, I may pull it out and take a closer look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just ordered my RM01 with Di2 Ultegra... I am very excited to receive it. Delivery will be by mid of March. 25 years of mechanical shifting find an end with that bike. I do not know what is more exciting ... the roadmachine or the Di2 shifting.

@Migen21:I asked my shop guys and they confirmed that the seatpost clamp Looks like te photo I posted above.

@all:Thank you so far for any Feedback /help given.... ;-)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Congratulations! Its really a fantastic bike! You'll love the Di2 as well. And FWIW I have two rides since my last post and have not had any more problems with the seatpost slipping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anybody know the weight of the RM01 with Di2 components in Framesize 56cm? Thank you guys! (I guess it will be around 7,8 kg) but I am not sure ...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My 61cm RM-01 has a Dura Ace 9000 crankset and Ultegra 6870 Di2 derailleurs, Enve SES 3.4 Disc wheels withConti GP4000 28mm tires and weighed just a tad over 17lbs (7.8kg I guess).

41 - 60 of 387 Posts