Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I want to get a new bike and after doing a bit of research and test riding (other options are Merida Scultura 5000, Cannondale CAAD12, Trek Emonda SL6), I am down to two choices, BMC Teammachine SLR03 105 and Giant TCR Advanced 2. What do you think about each option? Please let me know!

BMC Teammachine SLR03 105:
Price: AUD2299 + 3 free servicing.
Spec: Carbon frame, fork and steer tube, 105 shifters and derailleur, shimano non-series brakes and crankset.
Pros: Very good handling, almost "stick" to tarmac when cornering. Fast acceleration and keen climber.
Cons: Heavy, and unnecessarily huge cassette (11-32), also pricy for this spec.

Giant TCR Advanced 2:
Price: AUD2299+1 free servicing+$460 worth of goodies that I can choose.
Spec: Carbon frame and fork, hybrid steer tube. Full 105 groupset.
Pros: Eager accelerator, and also good spec for the price.
Cons: Handling is too sensitive that it feels a bit all over the place. And there is no more my size in 2016 model, so I have to buy the expensive 2017 model.

Greatly appreciate any advices on which bike to choose! Cheers!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm a little confused by your options. Only one of these two bikes are available to you, but there is a third option that is more expensive?

Ultimately, fit and feel come first. Getting the best components for your money is probably second.

Don't forget to consider the purchase location, warranty, etc... who is going to give you better value over the long term? Help keep it in good working order, replace broken or defective parts, etc...?

All of those being equal, get the red one (or whichever one makes you feel warm and fuzzy when you look at it).

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
If you have to spend more for the 2017, than it changes the scope of the equation. Personally, I like the BMC better but you will be the one riding it. I would not let a cassette be the difference maker as it is easily changed out. If you feel like the BMC is a better ride than go with that one. I never put a lot of stock into free servicing though unless it is from a shop that is close by. Traveling an hour or so to get a free tuneup is not worth my time.
They are both great bikes and you will be happy with either one. Good luck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you have to spend more for the 2017, than it changes the scope of the equation. Personally, I like the BMC better but you will be the one riding it. I would not let a cassette be the difference maker as it is easily changed out. If you feel like the BMC is a better ride than go with that one. I never put a lot of stock into free servicing though unless it is from a shop that is close by. Traveling an hour or so to get a free tuneup is not worth my time.
They are both great bikes and you will be happy with either one. Good luck.
Good point about the free service. I think I've taken advantage of the feature only a handful of times....and that's when I live 5 minutes away from the shop! Bikes are pretty sturdy so I'm not sure it'll see a mechanic regularly.

A shop will probably swap out the cassette on the BMC if it's a deal breaker for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts