Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you steel lovers, cheers:

Procycling: What about you Chris, any regrets?

Chris Boardman: Well, to my knowledge, none - apart from competing at the 1996 Olympics on a steel frame.

-- Procycling Feb. '04

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
j-son said:

Chris Boardman: Well, to my knowledge, none - apart from competing at the 1996 Olympics on a steel frame.

-- Procycling Feb. '04
Well, there is a message implied, but it would be nice to know exactly why the quote was made. Minus elaboration, it says very little about anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No point

No point at all. Geez, lighten up. Just striving for a little levity on a boring and cold Friday evening. I thought it interesting that Boardman would make such a statement.

For context, here's the full quote:

"Well, to my knowledge, none - apart from competing at the 1996 Olympics on a steel frame. It was incredibly flexible -- you could even see that on the TV pictures. But in general terms, no regrets really. Yes, I'd like to have done more in some races, but I can easily accept that I had limitations. That's just the way it is.

terry b said:
Your point is?

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Hmmmm

j-son said:

-- Procycling Feb. '04
I do find it interesting that when somone posts somthing negative about an aluminum frame no one really blinks. Mess with steel however and it's like you've just spit on someone's grandma. Obviously, it's all about tradition, but it's still funny how up and arms people can get. Minus the mention of a builder or the tubing, it's just a bunch of metal they're talking about. At least, that's how it should be taken.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
The Human G-Nome said:
I do find it interesting that when somone posts somthing negative about an aluminum frame no one really blinks. Mess with steel however and it's like you've just spit on someone's grandma. Obviously, it's all about tradition, but it's still funny how up and arms people can get. Minus the mention of a builder or the tubing, it's just a bunch of metal they're talking about. At least, that's how it should be taken.
Should be pissed at the builder,not the material.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Absolutely correct...

The Human G-Nome said:
But, all things being equal (3 aluminum, 3 steel, one Ti bike), I still take one of the steel bikes out for anything over 35 or 40 miles....

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
My alum bike sits untill i can sell it because all i ride is my steel,100 miles or so a week.Already sold my other alum CD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let's get the context right

If you remember back to that Atlanta TT then you will recall that Boardman rode a steel frame that had very ovalized and swaged aero tubing. It was the very streamlined steel tubing that contributed to the flex that he talks about. It wasn't the fact that it was steel. For a good part of his time with Gan when Merckx was the frame supplier, most of his races were done on steel frames and he didn't complain then. Here he did. The difference is that wild aero tubing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts