Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BOB meets the Monkey

I hope you'll all go easy on me since I'm new to the ride report thing. :)

My wife and I decided to leave the car parked and take our bikes pretty much everywhere from now on, which seemed like the perfect excuse to buy a trailer. I borrowed a BOB from one of my teammates yesterday so see how I got along with it while trying to make up my mind on what to buy. This afternoon I loaded the BOB up with my camera and some rain gear and took off for a short get-acquainted ride before meeting the wife for a grocery run.

I wasn't sure what to expect handling-wise but the BOB was great. It didn't seem to appreciate it if I got out of the saddle but otherwise it was fairly neutral with the light load I had in back. There's definitely a learning curve when it comes to maneuvering bike and trailer around when you get off though. :p

The weather here in Portland has been pretty crap and today was no exception. The Springwater was pretty empty for me today.

By the time I got here, the spot I really wanted to spend a little time at with my camera, I had about two minutes before I had to meet the wife.

I spent a little over an hour going about 5 miles and it was awesome. I've never liked carrying my cameras on me while riding but putting the gear in the trailer was the perfect solution. I'll have to do this a little more often from now on. :)

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
threesportsinone said:
I need to try a BOB one of these days, I have a burley and a Blue Sky but I'm not sure I would want to take either on long distance rides. Both work great for errands around town though.
I'm really interested to see how the Nomad compares to the BOB. My LBS is bringing one over from another store for me to try out, hopefully tomorrow. I can't believe I didn't get one of these things a long time ago, they're so damn useful.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
sweeeeeeeeet shots.

i played with the idea of getting a BOB (or nashbar rip-off) for grocery shopping. last night i took the fixie and some panniers on a last minute spree. got a pint of strawberries, some salad, bread, tenderlon filet, chicken tenders, two pork chops, two bottles of apple juice, and some bundeled wood for a fire.

a BOB would have been easier, and i would have beemn able to take advantage of the BOGO on the berries, but it was sweet seein the looks people gave as i strapped the wood to the rack on my bike.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Those are some nice pictures. The Bob is a thing of beauty.

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigrider said:
The Bob is a thing of beauty.
So true, so true. IMO it's a great little bit of functional art in it's own oddball, one-wheeled way. I don't want to let aesthetics influence my decision on which trailer to buy but it's tough to think only of being practical. It's just such a graceful little thing. :)

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Very, very nice photos.

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
undies said:
Cool pics! Are you using a lensbaby?
Thanks. :) I didn't use a Lenababy but you're close. 90mm tilt shift. There have been a few times where I almost bought one but the tilt-ish shift-ish effect doesn't quite work for me. The TS is a lot more expensive but, to me, worth every penny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.