Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Bob trailer and took it for a test ride- also our first overnight bike ride. The mini adventure takes place on the Bizz Johnson Trail, a rail trail that runs out of Susanville, CA. Nice green trees and flowing river for most of it but we ere surprised to find the temps still pushing 100F in the afternoon. After we had made it about 14 mi (half of what I had planned), we made camp and called it a day. Stop laughing whenever you want, guys. Anyway, the original plan was to go to the next town and refill our water supplies. Things got a little tense as we continued draining the water and it became apparent that we weren`t going to make it that far. I was toying with the idea of leaving the trailer at camp and continuing myself to fill up our bottles but wasn`t sure I could make it back before dark and I didn`t have any lights along. The other option would have been to use the river water for cooking and cross our fingers hoping that a liter of drinking water and another iter or so of boiled river water would get us back down the hill (turns out it would have) when we ran into another family out camping and they let us fill up from their jug. We had started with almost two gallons. Al in all, it was a great trip and I learned a whole bunch about packing for bike trips- what works and what I need to work on. For anybody in Norcal, that`s a ride worth doing! It would be a pretty easy one day trip from end to end or possibly even out and back in a day for most folks. It`s nice in the fall or early winter too. Our first ride there was last Oct or Nov and the river is beautiful with snow and ice around.
By the way, the BOB handled pretty well but not like the reviews led me to believe. A lot of folks have written that you hardly even feel it behind you except when you`re climbing. I disagree with that- it`s probably better with a road bike, especially a long touring bike, but with a short mountain bike it definitely tends to wag at cruising speeds (say, 10-15 MPH). It`s also hard to get through trail entrance obstacles designed to keep the motos out and takes practice for "parking lot" type turns and manuvers. It tracks great though for longer turns, like turning a corner on the street and can U-turm on a wide single lane fairly easilly.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Nice trail.

Your BOB looks a tad overloaded to me. Try fooling with the fore/aft weight balance and try to keep the heavy stuff on the bottom as much as you can.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice pics! That ride looks like a lot of fun!

FWIW, there's definitely a practical limit to the weight on a BOB. They'll tell you that it can hold 70 lbs., but it gets squirrely long before that. DH attempted to haul a 40 lb bag of kitty litter home, and called for a ride simply because the handling was too sketchy for him to feel safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.