Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a comparison might be useful, since I have owned a BOB trailer for a couple of years, and just bought a Nashbar trailer for my son to use. We are planning on doing some bike-pack camping trips, and he wanted to take some of the gear. So, since the Nashbar trailer was $80 and the BOB is like $300, I thought I would give the Nashbar trailer a try.

1. Hitch mechanism:
a) the BOB has a replacement skewer, that still works as a quick-release. The trailer hooks over the skewer ends, and a pin goes through the bottom of the hooks. I have always thought this setup was a bit cumbersome, but very simple. I have also thought it would be better to have a narrower skewer.
b) The Nashbar trailer also replaces the skewer. There are two parts that stick out on either side of the bike. They stick out about 2 inches from the frame. They are not quick release. There are some spring-loaded pins that attach to the quick release that are held in place by lynch pins. For some reason (noise probably) the pins also have 2 little o-rings. I do not like this attachment method. I have had to add a 15mm wrench to my son's seat bag, in case he gets a flat.

2. Overall quality of the trailer:
The BOB is much lighter than the Nashbar trailer, even though it is rated for 30 pounds more load (70 versus 40). The Nashbar trailer is longer, lower, and wider. The rear wheel on the Nashbar trailer has crossed spokes, the BOB has straight spokes. The spokes on such a small wheel are too short to cross, so I expect to have truing issues with the Nashbar wheel. The hub in the BOB trailer always concerned me, but it is much better than the Nashbar. The Nashbar hub needs to be repacked immediately. The paint is much cleaner on the BOB as well.

The Nashbar trailer is quite a bit longer than the BOB, which I would consider a drawback. It has no more cargo space.

Overall, the BOB is a much better design, and a much better trailer. Is it $200 better? I would say that depends on frequency of use. If I had it to do over, I would have paid $150 for a used BOB over the Nashbar trailer, but I think the Nashbar trailer will serve its purpose.

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
thanks for the report, very informative.

i've been using a BOB for years, and absolutely love it.

always wondered about the nashbar ones, figured being so cheap that "sounds to good to be true" would apply.

nice to have your emperical data to back up my gut feel. i'll keep on recommending BOBs to folks that ask me about trailers.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cannondale7193 said:
My buddy and I are in the early stages of planning a 1200 mile ride to Florida...which trailer do you believe is the best bang for the buck.
Thanks!
Best bang for the buck? Nashbar. You could buy three of them for the price of a BOB.

Best trailer? BOB. Hands down. Much higher quality, better method of attaching it to the bike.

I passed on a used BOB trailer for $75 (it had been sitting outside unused for a couple of years) and wish I had bought that instead, but the Nashbar trailer isn't all bad.

For a 1200 mile ride, I would want the BOB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.