Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my wife has been commuting by bike rain or shine - mostly rain here in PDX - for a couple months we finally agreed to commit to being as car free as we can while still owning the damn thing. The car will stay parked unless one of the dogs has to go to the vet or we need to drive to a race or team ride. For lots of reasons a trailer is starting to look really sensible and I think BOB is probably the hot ticket.

I'll mainly use it for grocery runs, the occasional trip to home depot, carrying camera gear to my studio or for shoots that aren't real far out and other similar kinds of things. I don't expect to carry a refrigerator or anything but will, say, a few bags of potting soil or some 2x4s or similar sorta big-ish loads be do-able with a BOB? I've never seen one in person so it's hard for my brain to visualize *what* exactly I'd be able to carry.

How does the BOB handle empty? Will it be a total bummer to tow for an hour or so when I take the long way to meet the wife in the evenings before we go grocery shopping?

yak vs yak28? I'll use my Karate Monkey with regular ol' road tires for towing duty most of the time, with my cross bike or road bike stepping in occasionally. Will the regular yak work for both?

I'll definitely love a BOB and wonder how I ever got by without it, right? :D

·
Spike
31 Posts
bobstuff

I have a standard YAK
I mostly use mine it get my water refilled, (2-3 gallon bottles) and for grocery runs. I have picked up a christmas dinner for eight with it (2 turkeys=36lbs plus all the fixins total was 82lbs total on the bathroom scale). I notice that they get a little wobbly if you stand for the climbs while loaded.
Once you learn the quirks of the set up it's no big deal. I just stay in the saddle, swing wide in the turns and enjoy the ride.

Hope this helps

I am Spike

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that definitely helps. One of my teammates borrowed me his BOB this morning and I was surprised at how light it is and at the size. It's bigger than I expected, which is a good thing. I just hooked it up to the Monkey and took it for a spin...good stuff for sure. Tomorrow we'll take it on a grocery run so I can see how I like towing it with a load. So far I think it's exactly what I want.

I wanted to check out a Nomad too so my LBS is bringing one in from another store for me this week. I'm really interested to see how two wheels compares to one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.