Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about this new bit of info...? Bode accusing Lance of taking performance enhancing drugs. Whats the opinion on this? It seems to me that Bode ought to shut his pie hole, considering his own checkered past, yes?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Too bad.

If Millar is engaging in such malicious gossip, then I will be disappointed, since I have gained respect for him after reading the recent BBC Cycling interview on his previous doping scandal, in which he came accross as mature and reformed, a true cycling pro. Certainly this is detrimental to his overall image, not good and totally immature!
mootinator said:
How about this new bit of info...? Bode accusing Lance of taking performance enhancing drugs. Whats the opinion on this? It seems to me that Bode ought to shut his pie hole, considering his own checkered past, yes?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
mootinator said:
The guy is undoubtedly the most outspoken athlete in the world. The odds of him shutting his pie hole are slim to none, with no one betting on slim.

And what exactly is his 'checkered past'?

Silas

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
SilasCL said:
The guy is undoubtedly the most outspoken athlete in the world. The odds of him shutting his pie hole are slim to none, with no one betting on slim.

And what exactly is his 'checkered past'?

Silas

Well he likes his booze didn't you here?!?!

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Hello!

ru1-2cycle said:
If Millar is engaging in such malicious gossip, then I will be disappointed, since I have gained respect for him after reading the recent BBC Cycling interview on his previous doping scandal, in which he came accross as mature and reformed, a true cycling pro. Certainly this is detrimental to his overall image, not good and totally immature!

Bode Miller not David Millar...

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
rocco said:
Well he likes his booze didn't you here?!?!
Personally I've never done any drunk ski racing, or bike racing for that matter. It seems pretty dumb, cocky, and over the top. But I don't really see the big deal. Sure he's setting a bad example for the 'kids' but pro athletes taking harmful substances seems much worse.

Bode is a nut, but certainly not a bad guy. Anyone else actually see the 60 minutes piece on him? He has some wacky workout regimen he does in a barn, looks painful.

Silas

·
Banned
97 Posts
Such a fine young man to be representing the US. BTW, where are the Olympics this year? Do most people care?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Some do..

Soggy Feed Bag said:
Such a fine young man to be representing the US. BTW, where are the Olympics this year? Do most people care?
The Olympics are in Livigno Italy, and I care about them, as I was ski racing long before I was bike racing, hung that up a long time. Competed against Bode back when he was a very young kid, and me not too much older, and he was exceptional then. Let me tell you that being sort of drunk and or hungover at the start line of a ski race, it's not uncommon. Bode has never come to the start line drunk, but I'm sure he's had some "bad" mornings. Not that this has comprimised his ability, since he took his 136th straight start in a world cup ski race last week, the longest unbroken streak ever. The guy is a machine, and he wins races, and has been the most successful US ski racer ever in a world dominated by Austrians. If you've never been to a world cup downhill event, you don't know what you're missing. Picture 200,000 lining the slopes of a race course, all partying, cheering, yelling the entire race. It is amazing. He is a decent guy, he is very outspoken though, very. Such as in the case with the Armstrong statement, but then again, opinions are like *******s, everyone has one right (kind of like all of us jerks on here). He believes Armstrong doped. Big deal. Half of the cycling world believes that Armstrong doped, and probably most people on here believe that as well, or some people, since this is an American-centric site. Most American cycling fans will never believe that Armstrong doped. Most Europeans will believe that he did. It's the old, "Well I believe it when a Euro pro gets busted, but no American would ever do that" How naive people. Look at the outcry when Hamilton got busted.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
magnolialover said:
Most American cycling fans will never believe that Armstrong doped. Most Europeans will believe that he did. It's the old, "Well I believe it when a Euro pro gets busted, but no American would ever do that" How naive people. Look at the outcry when Hamilton got busted.
And when exactly was Lance busted? And Miller claims he did come to the line drunk.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
He's not actually...

BontyRider said:
He's in danger of losing his sponsorships if he doesn't behave. He's acting like a 15 year old.
He's not actually. Yeah, they've told him to calm down a little, but nobody is dropping Bode anytime soon. It's not like he's broken the law or something like that. Hell, Kobe Bryant went to trial for rape, and his sponsors dropped him, and then picked him back up just like nothing had happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
He's in danger of losing his sponsorships if he doesn't behave. He's acting like a 15 year old.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
magnolialover said:
He's not actually. Yeah, they've told him to calm down a little, but nobody is dropping Bode anytime soon. It's not like he's broken the law or something like that. Hell, Kobe Bryant went to trial for rape, and his sponsors dropped him, and then picked him back up just like nothing had happened.
Yup. They would have to be the worst businessmen ever.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Exactly...

FTF said:
Hungover actually.
Hungover does not equal drunk. Was he at his best? You never would have known since he's won a ton of races, and the overall world cup title. Essentially, he doesn't have to prove anything, he's already done it. And continues to do it.

One could argue that Armstrong was "busted" by the positive tests that came up this past year due to the snooping completed by l'Equipe. Of course we all know that he never would have doped right? Sort of like how Tyler never would have done it either? Pull the head from your arse. I'm not saying Armstrong doped, because in his tests, he's never had a positive one, and this stuff over the summer was suspect at best, and could not be proven because there was no other urine to test, but it appears, shall we say, shady?

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
magnolialover said:
Hungover does not equal drunk. Was he at his best? You never would have known since he's won a ton of races, and the overall world cup title. Essentially, he doesn't have to prove anything, he's already done it. And continues to do it.

One could argue that Armstrong was "busted" by the positive tests that came up this past year due to the snooping completed by l'Equipe. Of course we all know that he never would have doped right? Sort of like how Tyler never would have done it either? Pull the head from your arse. I'm not saying Armstrong doped, because in his tests, he's never had a positive one, and this stuff over the summer was suspect at best, and could not be proven because there was no other urine to test, but it appears, shall we say, shady?
OMG, I didn't realize why it was so dark all the time, thank you for opening my eyes to the world outside my own anal cavity! WOW there is so much more to see. So which is it, Shady or busted?

FTF Thank you for clarification on hungover, that ups my opinion of him a smidge. As we have seen from postings here, skiing is dangerous enough no need to make it more so by acting stupidly.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Ah well.

zeytin said:
OMG, I didn't realize why it was so dark all the time, thank you for opening my eyes to the world outside my own anal cavity! WOW there is so much more to see. So which is it, Shady or busted?

FTF Thank you for clarification on hungover, that ups my opinion of him a smidge. As we have seen from postings here, skiing is dangerous enough no need to make it more so by acting stupidly.
I said, shady, not busted. Armstrong never tested positive during competition testing. And for that matter, neither did Pantani, but hey, that's another whole can of worms.

Let's face it, we don't care about athletes unless they win. Bode is hungover and still wins, guess what? Nobody cares because he's winning. Same for cyclists, or any other pro athlete. We don't care, as long as they're winning.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Interestingly enough Bode Miller seems to hold a rather positive view on EPO:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/skiing/4334060.stm

Miller 'surprised' EPO is illegal
Bode Miller
American Bode Miller is defending World Cup champion
American skier Bode Miller says he is "surprised" that erythropoietin (EPO) is illegal and believes it carries "minimal" health risks.

The 27-year-old, who won last year's World Cup series, argued the use of EPO could improve safety for skiers.

"It would make it safer because you'd have less chance of making a mistake," he told Ski Racing website.

Sarah Lewis, a spokesman for the International Ski Federation, later played down the comments.

"Bode is renowned for making off-the-wall-type statements," Lewis said.

"That he now sees himself as qualified to comment on regulations about doping is interesting, to say the least.

When your brain starts to slow down, it makes it damn hard to make decisions
Bode Miller

"Should those responsible for World Cup courses think athletes were making themselves overextended, there would be changes to the technical parts of the course, not the introduction of artificial methods or substances."

EPO is primarily used by endurance sportsmen to boost stamina.

And Miller believes it could even mean the difference between life and death at the end of a long ski run.

"You have to make four or five decisions every second in skiing, every turn. These are conscious decisions, plus there's another hundred that are instinct," he said.

"And when your brain starts to slow down, as if you're holding your breath for two minutes, it makes it damn hard to make those decisions."

Meanwhile, Miller has delayed his return to Europe for the Alpine ski racing season in order to stay at the bedside of his brother, who was critically injured in a motorcycle crash last week.

Miller still intends to compete in the season's opening giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, on 23 October, and is now due to fly into Innsbruck on Thursday, several days later than originally planned.

His younger brother Chelone, 22, was in hospital after suffering "extensive head trauma" when his motorcycle crashed near the family home in New Hampshire last Thursday.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
1st
magnolialover said:
One could argue that Armstrong was "busted" by the positive tests that came up this past year due to the snooping completed by l'Equipe.Of course we all know that he never would have doped right?
then
magnolialover said:
I said, shady, not busted. Armstrong never tested positive during competition testing. And for that matter, neither did Pantani, but hey, that's another whole can of worms.
Oh yea "le quip" is so above suspicion, and I never brought up Tyler or Pantani but thats for another thread another day. I think Bode was out of line, I do care about the Olympics but more about things happening in other regions of the world and as for sports? I really don't pay attention to pro sports, don't ask me whose in the superbowl or any of that. When I watch sporting events on TV it's football (the real kind played with feet) and cycling if it's available.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts