Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really looking forward to getting into cycling. But I'm struggling to understand which bike I would be best fit for. I'm looking to spend around $500 for a solid beginners bike. I don't need anything fancy, or even new. Just a good reliable bike to break myself into.

My question starts with an explanation. I'm 6' tall, and have proportionally very short legs and very long upper body. Here are my dimensions from WrenchScience:

Frame Size c-t-c: 52cm
Frame Size c-t-t: 54cm
Overall Reach: 67.50cm
Saddle Height: 70.65cm
Handlebar Width: 38cm

Measurements:
Height: 72 in
Sternum Notch: 57.5 in
Inseam 31.5in
Arm: 24in
Shoulder: 10.50in
Flexibility: 6
Weight: 226

My problem is that in looking for a bike, I keep seeing that 52cm bikes are usually recommended for people that are only 5'5" to 5'7", which is way less that what my body is. So, my question is, given my measurements, what should I be looking for to match my size?

Also, any recommendations for a good entry level $350-$550 road bike would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Go to a local bike shop, get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing and give them your buisness. You may spend a little more but it will pay off in the end. Proper fit is everthing on a bike. My guess is you will be on something like a 57 cm. Good luck

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm 6'3" and have short legs/long torso. I ride 58 - 61 c bikes. The most important dimension for me is top tube length. My favorite bike, a 60c DeRosa, has a 58.5 tt, a 72* seat tube, and I'm using a 140mm stem.

That's something you should be aware of, and also do what Bubba says. Get thee to a competent, knowledgable LBS & get a fitting. If you buy the bike there, they'll apply the charge for the fitting to the bike. If you don't it'll still be a good deal because you'll be uber comfy on your new ride. If you guess, you might end up with a really great looking bike that's very uncomfortable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.