Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend wants to buy a scale which reads body fat. I have a few questions.

1) How accurate/consistent are these scales?
2) Is paying $30 for a body fat scale at Target a waste of money.
3) Is paying $100 for a fancy scale worth the money. Will it be more accurate?

Thanks.

S2H

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
My girlfriend wants to buy a scale which reads body fat. I have a few questions.

Thanks.

S2H
Accurate: not really. +/- 4% accuracy, I've heard.
Consistent: if used consistently (same conditions, hydration levels, etc.)

Seems like the low end Tanitas are $40. A $30 Target device may or may not be a piece of trash. Keep the receipt is all I can say... and knowing Target, having a receipt will probably not make the return any easier.

The more expensive scales are generally geared to multiple users or athletes. If your "girlfriend" is an athlete, then she will probably want to spend a little extra to get one that accounts for that. Athletes generally have more muscle than the average Joe, so run-of-the-mill bodyfat scales can overestimate fat levels.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hydration greatly influences the body fat readings. I have a $40 Tanika and have used it for 3 years. I don't pay much attention to the body fat results other than to see if my weight variations are due to hydration.

The weight aspect of the scale is very repeatable. The body fat measurement is amusing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was wondering about those body fat scales, the gym at work made me get on one before I was allowed to exercise in the gym and I just couldn't see how it could be accurate especially as I only took my shoes and socks off but had all my other work clothes on, wallet, change, phone and who knows what in my pockets....

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
body fat measurement by electrical resistance is sorta accurate. Not as good as a trained skin-fold test, even, and definitely not as good as a dunk, but better than a monkey with a dartboard.

As they all have said, they're pretty sensitive to hydration and stuff, but if you're consistent with them they're pretty consistent with you.

Also, at least on Tanitas, always use the "athlete" mode if you are at all active. The other mode is full of shyte.

And you don't get to use >>>>>>> outside of the lounge, moreon.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Yes they are accurate.

Go with the Tanita model - and probably get a dual user (so you can use it over place).

Her readings will be off when she has that period thing. The instructions mention this due to water retention.

Mine is consistent - morning readings are the same, afternoon readings are the same.
Only time it changes is when I gain/lose bf. You can generally see the trend if you were to plot it and know which way you are headed.

If it is off - it will be off the same amount for you probably. So you readings will be consistent.

Scotty2Hotty said:

Thanks.

S2H

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have the Tanita IronMan and it is quite accurate and useful. The body-fat measurement matched my immersion test at the local university. The best feature for me is the percentage of water in your body....lets me know when I am dehydrated....

The Flash

·
Registered
103 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:

Thanks.

S2H
I have a Tanita scale and it seems to be pretty accurate for body fat "if" you use it correctly. From my experience:

1. This scale is more accurate for males than it is for females. This is because the scale is sensitive to the amount of water in your body. For females, the body fat scale is not very accurate around the menstrual cycle.

2. The best time to take a reading is just before bed and fully hydrated. The body fat scale is not very accurate in the morning, after a tough workout, or if you're dehydrated.

3. It's best to take daily readings and average them out over a period of time.

4. Make sure you have clean feet (not sweaty).

·
The Right Wing
871 Posts
There's shyte, then there's shyte

Argentius said:
Also, at least on Tanitas, always use the "athlete" mode if you are at all active. The other mode is full of shyte.
I get reasonable readings (15%) on normal mode, but I get ripped numbers (7%-8%) on athelete mode. I race regularly and train accordingly, so I fit the definition of "active", but 8% BF I am not.

I do find it to be repeatable, and to be the absolute best weight scale I have ever owned. Worth the $100 just for that feature.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:

Thanks.

S2H
Just make sure it has a 'husky' setting, some companies label theirs 'big boned'.......

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
svend said:
Just make sure it has a 'husky' setting, some companies label theirs 'big boned'.......
Scotty can use the Moreon setting. :cool:

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
madvax said:
1. This scale is more accurate for males than it is for females. This is because the scale is sensitive to the amount of water in your body. For females, the body fat scale is not very accurate around the menstrual cycle.
Maybe I'm an a-typical female, but I've never had the slightest problem using my bodyfat scale around my menstrual cycle. (You know, that "period thing".) The numbers are dead-on accurate (that is to say they don't fluctuate much) regardless of what time of the month I use it.

Perhaps some women retain massive amounts of water that may affect readings. I guess I'm not one of them.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I'll echo that. I have had caliper readings in the past and they are fairly close to what my Tanita reads; however, I'm not 12.5% like mine says on the "athlete" mode, but I'm not what it says on the normal mode. I always check it just before lunch on "off" days and I get repeatable results. If anything it can help gauge whether you have lost or gained weight/fat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.