Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I weight 146lbs, height 1.84mt and my % of BF is 3.5%. After reading some posts about BF, and noticing that the "healthy" values are between 7%~5%, I get a little "scary". I do notice that I`m more competitive this way, I mean, I`m producing more power than last year weighting 153~155lbs and I`m getting better race results ;).
So I don`t know if it`s a bad thing or a good thing to be this low, I`m eating always with a good balance, my vitamins and all the stuff. It could be that my genetics tend to make me skinny (I`ve been skinny all my life, 23 years old).

So what do you have to say about this...
thanks a lot and sorry for my english...:rolleyes:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Fran said:
Hi

I weight 146lbs, height 1.84mt and my % of BF is 3.5%. After reading some posts about BF, and noticing that the "healthy" values are between 7%~5%, I get a little "scary". I do notice that I`m more competitive this way, I mean, I`m producing more power than last year weighting 153~155lbs and I`m getting better race results ;).
So I don`t know if it`s a bad thing or a good thing to be this low, I`m eating always with a good balance, my vitamins and all the stuff. It could be that my genetics tend to make me skinny (I`ve been skinny all my life, 23 years old).

What do I have to say about this, easy, YOU SUCK......:p Oh to be 23 again, you don't even know what you have...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
How did you determine your BF%? Many methods have a high margin of error.

I am 1.82mt and 139 lbs, and I feel pretty good -- better than last season at 145-148, and am also 23. I think we're doing all right.

Just watch out for many of the "overtraining" symptoms most training books will mention to you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fran said:
Hi

One major point, body fat % estimation are always prone to error, usually standard deviation of 1-2% for underwater weighing and 3% or more for calipers, even if done correctly. If you are feeling well, recovering well I wouldnt worry about it. I would suggest at some point in time looking at a bone density scan, lean male cyclists are also prone to osteopenia/osteoporosis.
I turn 40 this year and have kept my body fat at around 4% (measured underwater) since I began cycling 15 years ago with no health problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
One thing I hate is looking down the line at the start of a race with big climbs and seeing guys like all of you. I'm built more like a strong safety in football and when I'm fit i'm 5'9" and about 168-172 though ideal would be about 165. That is ok though, when the road is flat or rolling it is payback time. As long as you feel good and are not starving yourself, don't worry about it.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
my gym has a battery powered plastic device that you hold in front of you with both hands. There are metal sensors where both palms go. You enter wt, age, ht, and whether "average" or "athletic". I did it twice and my numbers were very high(14.4 and 14.8). So how accurate is this method? It takes about 10 seconds or so. Next time i'll enter "average" and see if that helps my cause. Thing is I don't appear fat and lift pretty well. I haven't been riding much at all though. I think I'll test better when it warms up and I ride more.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
my gym has a battery powered plastic device that you hold in front of you with both hands. There are metal sensors where both palms go. You enter wt, age, ht, and whether "average" or "athletic". I did it twice and my numbers were very high(14.4 and 14.8). So how accurate is this method? It takes about 10 seconds or so. Next time i'll enter "average" and see if that helps my cause. Thing is I don't appear fat and lift pretty well. I haven't been riding much at all though. I think I'll test better when it warms up and I ride more.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on those reslults. those things are very inaccurate. You result can very widely depending on how hydrated you are, since it is basically just measuring the resistance of your body.

·
Registered
238 Posts
depends...

the others have made good points...

it's too low, if you're getting sick, shivering constantly, and you're not performing...

most commercial products determine body fat, using body water as an estimator (ie. scales that also have body fat features). so depending on your hydration status, body fat values will fluctuate.

at ironman california, researchers were using a near-infrared device that measures values from your bicep. supposedly it is more accurate since it doesn't vary from hydration.

i'm about 6', 175lbs, 12% body fat, probably as lean as i've been in years (i'm 31). i was as low as 170lbs when i was just cycling, but with triathlon training and vacations/buffets have beefed up. =)

for women, once you get too low, your body starts shutting stuff down like fertilitiy (lose your periods, etc). for guys, you'll get fatigued, reduced performance, etc.

john

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK for now...

Tour de France riders get to the 4-5 percent range in the latter part of the race. Generally, you can see more problems with infections (like bronchitis) at that level. I wouldn't necessarily say you had to gain body fat, but if you happened to do so, I'd say that would be OK. You need a certain amount for "cushioning" internal organs and for some energy stores. I'm not entirely sure you'll be able to stay at such a low level all season.

BTW, "normal" body fat levels are actually closer to 20 percent for men and 25 percent for women. Elite athletes are usually a few percentage points lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts