Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking the pulley gears off my derailleur so I could give it a good cleaning. It's loaded with winter riding gunk.

One of the bolts is stuck. 24 hours in solvent (i planned on replacing the pulleys, anyway) and I STILL can't get it out. I inadvertantly stripped the damn hex hole in it, too... I know I can get it out eventually... but it needs to be replaced. Where can I get such a stupid little part?

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Specialty Racing Products

http://www.srp-usa.com/

Go to "Online Store," click on "Aluminum/Titanium Fastener Kits," then "Derailleur Kits."

They've got just about any bolt you would need for anywhere on your bike. Kool thing about this store is you can get colored bolts to add style to your ride in unique places.

·
Registered
675 Posts
simoriah said:
I was taking the pulley gears off my derailleur so I could give it a good cleaning. It's loaded with winter riding gunk.

One of the bolts is stuck. 24 hours in solvent (i planned on replacing the pulleys, anyway) and I STILL can't get it out. I inadvertantly stripped the damn hex hole in it, too... I know I can get it out eventually... but it needs to be replaced. Where can I get such a stupid little part?
If you're well known by a local shop with a parts graveyard, you could just rob one off of a busted derailleur. I have about four dead derailleurs in my personal stash with random parts and screws missing to fix other derailleurs.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
McMaster-Carr has any bolt you'd ever want. How many do you need?

Seriously, go to your local Home Despot/Lowes, whatever, and go to the hardware aisle. Look in the machine screws.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
best penetrant I have found...

Find a can of PB Blaster "penetrating oil" Best EVER I have never had it fail to get a bolt out...then you may need to get an "easy-out" and drill the right sized hole to get it in. Not sure if the bolt you are refering to is reverse threaded or not but easy-outs are available in both. Nothing to do with getting the right bolt but getting the old one out is way more than 1/2 the battle. Good luck...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Needs and Wants

simoriah said:
I was taking the pulley gears off my derailleur so I could give it a good cleaning... ...One of the bolts is stuck... ...it needs to be replaced...
Does it really need replaced? You should be able to get a decent cleaning job done with the pulley still on. From the sounds of it the pulley is not going to fall off since the bolt is secure. Does the pulley and bolt really need replaced or do you just want to replace it? Yes, I know it's annoying to have a stripped bolt there but if cleaning the RD and pulley restores performance does replacement really improve your ride?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Does it really need replaced? You should be able to get a decent cleaning job done with the pulley still on. From the sounds of it the pulley is not going to fall off since the bold it secure. Does the pulley and bolt really need replaced or do you just want to replace it? Yes, I know it's annoying to have a stripped bolt there but if cleaning the RD and pulley restores performance does replacement really improve your ride?

I hate to say it but there are some of us, just "anal" enough that ANYTHING that isn't just right is WRONG......I know that I would fix it if it was mine....considering everytime I looked at it I would be reminded that some idiot (self is the worst idiot to be at fault) screwed it (no pun intended) up!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keeping up with Junior said:
Does it really need replaced? You should be able to get a decent cleaning job done with the pulley still on. From the sounds of it the pulley is not going to fall off since the bolt is secure. Does the pulley and bolt really need replaced or do you just want to replace it? Yes, I know it's annoying to have a stripped bolt there but if cleaning the RD and pulley restores performance does replacement really improve your ride?
Do I want or need to replace it? Well... since the pulley won't even turn... I probably need to replace it. :)

Found one at a local shop today. They pulled it from a busted old derailleur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts