Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I crashed after hitting a pine cone. The front wheel pulled out of the fork on the drive side.
I would not have crashed otherwise. This was the first time in 30 years of riding that this happened, a freak accident.

The front wheel is thru axle with an adapter for use in a standard 9mm dropout with standard quick release. I was using a Shimano XT MTB skewer tightened tight, tight.

I just bought this adapter that uses bolts intead of a QR. I am certain that the wheel would not have come out with this adapter.

MTB Tools Mountain Bike 15mm Thru Axle Bolt On Wheel Adapter | eBay

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
What kind of fork? does it have lawyer tabs?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
Carbon disc fork. It doesn't have lawyers tabs but the dropouts are recessed. Note: The fork has not been modified in any way, I did not file off the lawyers tabs.
Oh, don't worry I wasn't meaning to imply you screwed up something with an angle grinder. Some (idiots at places) like ENVE IIRC sell QR disc forks that don't ship with tabs on them....which is just the kingdom of stupidity. Using a quality QR like that Shimano XTR internal cam...I'm not sure those bolts will get you more torque before shearing heads off (and therefore more compression) than said QR.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, don't worry I wasn't meaning to imply you screwed up something with an angle grinder. Some (idiots at places) like ENVE IIRC sell QR disc forks that don't ship with tabs on them....which is just the kingdom of stupidity. Using a quality QR like that Shimano XTR internal cam...I'm not sure those bolts will get you more torque before shearing heads off (and therefore more compression) than said QR.
No offense taken. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not file off the lawyers tabs.

I was using XT internal cam skewers, tightened very tightly.

Look at the illustration, those bolts look to be more than an inch long. Should be able to get some good torque. I think it will be better than a QR on the drive side.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
No offense taken. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not file off the lawyers tabs.

I was using XT internal cam skewers, tightened very tightly.

Look at the illustration, those bolts look to be more than an inch long. Should be able to get some good torque. I think it will be better than a QR on the drive side.
The bolt head will shear off before the threads fail. Odds are the bolt shaft inside the non-threaded metal washers will fail first.

Those hex-heads are not load-rated bolts. They look like water bottle or fender bolts come to think of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fork rests on the adapter shaft, not the bolts. The bolts look to be thicker than a skewer rod. The QR version of this type of adapter works perfectly.

I thought of finding some aluminum tubing with a 15mm OD and a 10mm ID, and then using a solid steel axle and wheel nuts. That would be bomb proof.

The bolt head will shear off before the threads fail. Odds are the bolt shaft inside the non-threaded metal washers will fail first.

Those hex-heads are not load-rated bolts. They look like water bottle or fender bolts come to think of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run that adapter on my rigid 29er. No issues for me no matter what I hit.
Thanks for that info. I also ride a rigid 29er but it's 29 Plus, love it. I'm making a solid bolt on axle for the rear 170mm hub out of 4140 chromoly threaded rod. Ready made axles are not available in the 210mm length required. The 135mm front hub can use a 174mm ready made axle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts