Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the most bomb proof tires for my LHT. I'll be carrying heavy loads of groceries sometimes, plus my own weight of around 204, and all the stuff on the bike (lights, pump, tools, fenders, handlebar bag, second stem, front/rear racks with large panniers).

What would be a good recommendation for the best bomb proof tires I can put on the LHT? Would wider tires slow me down that much? And just how wide of tires can I install on the LHT? I also need the extra strong tires because the roads are bad, with lots of debris, including broken glass all over town. There is so much glass everywhere I ride, that I've started carrying a small broom so I can sweep up some of the glass!

I'll be ordering my new LHT from the bike shop soon, and want to add to the list which tires for them to install.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
As long as you have a good puncture proof bead you should be alright.

I personally suggest 28's for heavier loads minimum, but that size is fast enough for commuter sprinting purposes (eg: lights).

I love my contis, but there's a bunch of options.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Another vote for the Schwalbe Marathon or the Vittoria Randoneur line.
On my LHT I usually run 32s but you can fit really big tires on them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PMC said:
What does 32s translate into inches? I've been looking at the Schwalbe Marathons, and also the Vittoria Randoneur.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I run Maxxis Overdrive 1.75 26in tires on my LHT. I like them....good balance of low rolling resistance and sturdiness. They have a reflective strip on the sides which is nice on a commuter. They have a kevlar belt and are decently priced.

brewster

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
PMC said:
i'm really sure the Vittoria Randoneur's are what the MASH SF "team" rode on their AToC escapade, and their everyday skidstopping escapades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts