Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on a set of bomb proof wheels. I currently have two sets of wheels. The set I'm currently riding is a custom build set I purchased a few years ago. They are comprised of Velocity Aerohead rims, Dura Ace hubs, and Sapim spokes with brass nipples. They're a good set but I've dinged them up on the harsh roads of Central PA. I took a divot out of the front rim when I hit a rock on a decent. I had to replace the back rim and a couple of spokes when I hit a pot hole that wasn't called out while in a pace line. They're also not as laterally stiff as I'd like them to be. I'm guessing this is due to the low weight of the rim and the 14/17 gauge spokes.

My second set are Velocity Spartacus wheels. These roll nicely and are plenty stiff. The issue I'm having with these is with the free hub. I had some serious noise coming from the back wheel and when I took off the cassette I found that it was cutting grooves into the free hub. My LBS told me it was due to the soft alloy that they and other manufacturers use to reduce the weight of the wheels. They told me I could replace the free hub but it would probably happen again. Sure enough, I received a replacement from Velocity and it happened again.

Anyway, I'm considering the following sets.

Ksyrium Elites
Bontrager Race Lites
Shimano Ultegra
Easton Circuit or EA70

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on these wheels or any others I should be considering. I'm not as concerned with weight as I once was and I'm nore concerned with durability. I would gladly drop the money for Zipp 404's but if I ding a set of $2k wheels I'd be pretty pissed.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
Ultegra/OP/3X lacing.

Cheap. Reliable. Easy to get parts. When well-built, strong & stiff

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have a set of Specialized Roval Classique Pave wheels that I have been using for commuting for a few years. Low spoke count, high flange hubs with sealed bearings, and non-proprietory 14g spokes with nyloc nipples. They have been great wheels with absolutely no problems. I had them trued about a month after I bought them in 2006 and they have remained true ever since. They are designed for cyclocross but I have ridden them on my road bike with some 23mm vittorias and they felt good on climbs and descents.

Good advice too for handbuilts with open pro and shimano hubs. If you want bombproof, go with 36 spoke with DB 14/15. 36 hole hubs and rims are somewhat harder to find however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard to beat Mavics. Especially with the MP3 program- 10% of the price and wheels are replaced or fixed for 2 years, no questions asked.

I have a 4 year old set of Ksyrium SLs and a 2 year old set of Carbonnes. Both very stiff and only occasional truing needed. The Chicago roads are tough!

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Strong and super strong

dekindy said:
I had the same problem with an Aerohead O/C and replaced it with a Deep V. It rides well and matches the Aerohead front okay.
A 32 or 36 spoke rear wheel based on a Velocity DeepV will be strong enough for any normal human, even for one who is not careful where they ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with Kerry

I am a relatively light rider at 170lbs but generally easy on wheels and I still train on 36-hole Ambrosio Focus deep-v rims with 2.0 gauge spokes. 40,000 kms on a set and I think remember putting a spoke wrench on the rear once.

A friend of mine who is 215lbs uses the same rim, only 32-holes, and he has over 30,000km on it with no problems whatsoever and we have terrible roads where we are.

Power1369

·
Registered
4 Posts
titanio said:
fasterjim a question for U
How ofter do you using your Mavics, how much do you weight?
I'm 190 pounder rider, I'm using campy eurus and mavic carbone sl premium and no complain about them...
I weigh 158. I use the Ksyriums in the Spring and late Fall and the Carbonnes in the summer. I currently don't use any other wheels. About 200-230 mi./ week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm guessing you're using the Ksyrium SL's. I've come across two riders who use these and they experience a weird tinging sound while riding which sounds like it's related to spoke flex. The one guy is probably in the lower 190's and the other around 210. That's why I'm apprehensive about the SL's. Even though I'm 6'2" 178 and I'm just affraid I might have issues with lighter wheel sets.

·
dropped!
485 Posts
my local wheel builder swears that the velocity deep-v is as bulletproof as a wheel can be. she's built many of them for the velodrome racers and bike messengers in this pothole ridden city so she has good real-life experience with the wheels. if you build them with 32 spoke hubs, my layman's brain says that they should be pretty strong, if heavy. perhaps the aero-ness of the 30mm rim will outweigh (no pun intended) the weight once moving (on flat surfaces). i would imagine that you might suffer a bit climbing in comparison to a lighter wheelset.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I-Ride said:
My LBS made me an argument for the Bontrager Race Lite that come stock with the Madonne 5.2 and 5.5 as a great value for A) weight, B) warranty <5 years> and the fact they are redesigned from last year.
The Bonty RL are light but not durable. Forget these if you are looking for bombproof. I have broken two spokes on my new rear Bonty RL in under 1000 miles - I weigh under 170 lbs. Will be shopping Mavics if and when I break the first spoke on my warranty replacement wheel.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have 36 OP with DA 7800 hubs 3 cross, would not ride anything else for training.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go custom

I road the Elites for 4,000 miles until the rear rim cracked at a spoke. They were great wheels but I m much happier with the custom set I had built up at half the price of the K's.
They're CXP-33/Ultegra/DT spokes/brass nipples (32,36). I'm much happier with how fast they roll and how they perform compared to the Elites. Go custom!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.