Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 (Clincher) wheels. Are there any particular tire size/type anyone recommends? Bontrager recommends 700X22 but that doesn't seem to be a popular size? Will it be a problem putting 23's on them? This is my first set of carbon wheels...

I was also looking at the Zipp carbon brake pads, any input on these?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Wow, hell of a set of wheels for your first!!

Tire size: Any 23 or 25 will fit just fine. Just make sure you get tubes with long enough valve stems. 60mm valves should fit the Aeolus 5.0. You don't mention your weight but if you are a heavier guy you might opt for 25s (provided they fit your frame too) to get a softer ride.

Tire choice: I will assume you are not racing. Check out the Bontrager AC hardcases, they are pretty tough and come in 23s & 25s. But go to your LBS and check out the selection and ask questions. Light weight clinchers generally come with the penalty that they are: 1) expensive, 2) not tough, and 3) not long lasting.

Brake pads: no experience with the Zipps so can't help there. But any carbon specific pad should be okay. The SwissStop yellows are about the best you can get. Just make sure you get the pads that fit your pad holders for your brakes. (don't the Aeolus clinchers have an aluminum brake surface? If so, then your current regular pad will work too.)

HTH
zac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info,

I am 5' 8" 165 lbs, These are my first carbon wheels, I have several sets, Bontrager Race lite, a set of the X-Lite and Mavic Ksyrium ES's. I have always used 700X23's and with Bontrager says to use 22's it made me a little nervous. The misses would kill me if I chessed these up my first ride out on them.

They are all carbon and require carbon specific pads, they make a aluminum rim version though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as tubes you will need 80 mm valves and if you find some, buy several. Last year they were all sold out through QBP and Trek. Otherwise just use the valve extenders and they are a great wheelset..great braking surface , roll nice and hubs are super smooth:D :D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts