Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on a trip (I'm in the travel biz) and stopped by a TREK corp store, I was underwhelmed. About the only thing I saw that was interesting was a butt measurer thing. You sat down on it and leaned forward to simulate a cycling position and your sit bones leave a dark impression on the pad. they measure that and recommend a particular saddle by width. I was off by 3mm of what I thought I was. Anyway I was shown a 146mm saddle, it has a no questions asked 90 day return policy on it. Anyone try one of these yet? Think it was an SL, $99.99.

Cavalo bibs, anyone know more about this mfger? Sold at Nashbar, just wondering if they are a big house/type mfger of cycling clothes.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I can speak to the saddle. My Masi came with a Fizik Arione - a "highly praised" saddle. In 40 years of cycling it was the first saddle I absolutely hated. I have ridden Turbos, Concors, Rolls, Regals, Vettas, Brooks, Flites, etc. with no problems. I gave that sucker 2000 miles before I gave up on it.

I work for a Trek dealer and Trek was promoting the new Bontrager Inform saddles. I also measured at the 146 size. Got the RXL and, for me at least, it's a great saddle.

I persuaded my very skinny buddy Mike (who's been complaining about every saddle he's ever had) to try the Inform with the 90 day guarantee. He measured at the 154. Took him a couple of rides to get used to it and properly position it and now he loves it.

Cavalo bibs - I know nothing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wanted to replace the OEM asshatchet on my Trek 2.1 and gave the Inform RL a try because of the warranty; that was about 6 months ago. I haven't tried a ton of saddles and most of my riding with it has been on the trainer, but I don't have any complaints so far.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FatTireFred said:
that surprises you?
It really was MUCH less than I expected, here's why. My LBS used to be a TREK dealer. One day, TREK came to him and said he needed to move from his current location (It was an old multi story bigger town hardware store type place) that the LBS owns outright. They also wanted to dictate to him what he would sell in his shop, (no Specialized products etc) basically go into a huge amount of overhead debt with a new building and such just so he could sell TREK bikes. He said no, they pulled his franchise. With such a demand to the LBS, where was the TREK hoopla? He would have taken a huge step backward.

I have never been to a TREK corp store before, I was expecting so much more but it offered so little. My LBS still offers alot more than the TREK store, they had posters of Discovery team on the walls, very little clothing, kinda like no Lance, no brand recognition. They had a few Lemonds on hand that must have been leftovers.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Specialized uses memory foam (similar to Tempur-Pedic) to make an impression of your sit bones. Their saddle fitting technique using the memory foam is patented (U.S. Patent 7,284,336 B2).

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard said:
I can speak to the saddle. My Masi came with a Fizik Arione - a "highly praised" saddle. In 40 years of cycling it was the first saddle I absolutely hated. I have ridden Turbos, Concors, Rolls, Regals, Vettas, Brooks, Flites, etc. with no problems. I gave that sucker 2000 miles before I gave up on it.

I work for a Trek dealer and Trek was promoting the new Bontrager Inform saddles. I also measured at the 146 size. Got the RXL and, for me at least, it's a great saddle.

I persuaded my very skinny buddy Mike (who's been complaining about every saddle he's ever had) to try the Inform with the 90 day guarantee. He measured at the 154. Took him a couple of rides to get used to it and properly position it and now he loves it.

Cavalo bibs - I know nothing!
The saddles you mention, on my bikes I have a Concors, Rolls, Regal, 2 Brooks Pros. The Concors is the only one in question, seems that after about an hour I start to squirm and search for a comfortable new position. The Regal feels a little too wide(might be because the Concors feel is too narrow?) but I can find the sweet spot. The 90 day thing has me intrigued, if I can find the Inform RL in white in a 146 I might bite. The Rolls I'm not real fond of, but that bike rarely gets ridden (trainer duty) so I'm on the fence with the Regal in white or the Inform RL to try it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.