Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read the reviews.

have a chance to pickup a (new) 650c pair for a good price, local.

what is a good price for these?

reviews look pretty good. strong, paired aero spokes, not too heavy, good lookin', etc.

thanks in advance for any input.

-J

·
Registered
260 Posts
You won't belive how tough they are!

I have them on my 5200 (700C) and my wife has the Xlites on her P1 (650C) and we both love them.

I live in pot hole central and have had no problems in 8800 miles. I did hit a screw on the road that punched all the way clear of the tire into the rim. I unscrewed it from the tire/wheel and replaced the tire and rim tape but the the wheel is still fine. That was 4000miles ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
J's Haiku Shop said:
what is a good price for these? -J
I would think somewhere around $250-300 for the set would be a good price, esp. local. They came with my bike so I don't know the specific price. They've been a great wheelset, even for a big rider like myself. No truing needed so far, though only 1,500 miles on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Start low...

Assuming the price is negotiable (everything is), I would start with an offer around $150-175 and work my way up from there. That may seem startlingly low, but there are two reasons you should be able to get these cheap:

1) These wheels come standard on a LOT of different bike, and some of those bike owners feel the need to “upgrade” to a different wheelset, meaning there are a lot of them for sale.

2) 650c is still a specialty size, and that severely limits the market for this particular pair.

I have a pair (700c, $100 used in great shape), and they are actually pretty nice wheels. No problems at all in 6000+ miles I have used them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Bontrager Race Lite and Race X Lite wheelsets. I've tried them both, and I think you'd be better off with Mavics of equal price (Cosmos, Equipes, Elites). However, the Race XXX Lite is a great wheelset.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Australia...

The Race Lite wheelset sells brand new (700cc) for about $900.00 Australian which equates to about $690US. This is probably more than you'd need to pay for them in the States. My experience with them was that I required a new rear rim, replaced under warranty, after the rim was found to be cracking at about 8 eyelets. The replacement rim has been fine - so perhaps a dodgy initial build. These wheels are a good mid range wheelset for a rider of my weight (78kg - 172 pounds). They remain true and are fairly robust, IMO. Good luck with them if you get them.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I don't think Mavic wheels are available in 650C this year.

In the shop we have had no problems at all with Bontrager wheels and we sell a lot of bikes with them. If the price is right buy 'em.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
I have Race x-lites on both bikes.

I've gotten a little over 5000 miles on both sets of wheels and I love them. I have to admit though, I really baby my wheels. I don't use them in crummy weather and I don't go plowing through potholes with them and they have stayed true since pulling them out of the box. They spinup great and they're not too flexy. I would indeed purchase them again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts