Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions about the Bontrager Race Lite wheelset (to be specific, I am not refering to the Race X Lites which I believe are different). I have heard a lot of comments about this not being a very good wheelset, and specifically a lot of issues with the rim cracking. I have a brand new set of these which I have never riden on before and have the chance to sell them and upgrade to something more stable if the reviews I have read are really a concern. Who can confirm or debunk these negative reviews?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
You might want to post this in the Trek manufacturers forum. Also search there because (IIRC) its been discussed.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have 8k miles on my Bontrage Race Lites with little to no problems. Mine were stock on my '08 Madone 5.2 Perf, and the only issue had to do with over-tensioning from the factory. I had slight cracking at a few of the eyelets on my rear rim. Nothing I noticed, the LBS caught it at 2500 miles +/- and I had a new rim to replace my cracked one the same day (LBS called and replacement was authorized immediately - no questions asked). I have since put an additional 5,500 miles on the bike with no problems from the rims (tho the rear hub needed repairs at 7200 miles).

Currently looking for something lighter/different - but with the 5 yr warranty from Bontrager, it's hard to pass up their line of wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nor_cal_rider said:
I have 8k miles on my Bontrage Race Lites with little to no problems. Mine were stock on my '08 Madone 5.2 Perf, and the only issue had to do with over-tensioning from the factory. I had slight cracking at a few of the eyelets on my rear rim. Nothing I noticed, the LBS caught it at 2500 miles +/- and I had a new rim to replace my cracked one the same day (LBS called and replacement was authorized immediately - no questions asked). I have since put an additional 5,500 miles on the bike with no problems from the rims (tho the rear hub needed repairs at 7200 miles).

Currently looking for something lighter/different - but with the 5 yr warranty from Bontrager, it's hard to pass up their line of wheels.
What are you looking to upgrade to? The DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheelset has really caught my eye as being a lighter and very reliable wheelset to potentially upgrade to. Would you recommend the Race Lites given your experience with them? If I had a chance to sell them now and upgrade, based on your experience with them would you go with something else? Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been riding a set of these for about a year. Probably 5000 to 6000 miles. I had the rear replaced once due to play in the bearings but other than that they have been solid both racing and training. They have a 5 year warranty so if you have an issue it will be covered.

Not a fancy wheel set, but solid and fairly well built. That being said they came with the bike. I would not purchase them as an upgrade. I would go with a Durace/Record openpro/dtswiss type wheel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the Bontrager Race model, which is one step below the Race Lites. The best thing about these wheels is the 5 year warranty, and easy to find a shop to deal with it.

I've had rims replaced (cracks at eyelets) and rear hub serviced/repaired (locked up rolling to a stop sigh, threw chain off, gouged some spokes). The wheels ride a bit harsh, but are relatively light for training wheels, somewhat aero, and fast. Not a bad training wheel.

Be sure you inspect regularly. And do a close inspection at 4 years + 10 months!

Better wheels (for me): Easton Orion II's (wonderful); Campy Neutron (if you run campy). The Eastons are really fantastic, but they've "upgraded" them so these are now available only used or NOS.

I think its a great idea to have two sets of wheels. A good choice might be to hang on to the Race Lites for a year or two until you can find a nicer pair, then hang on to these as a backup. Sucks to not have a spare wheel if you need one in the shop for truing, etc. And wheels are the most abused part of the bike, so they do need attention . . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I rode them for two years before I upgraded. I had no problems with them, just went looking for lighter wheels. I still use them from time to time just for a change of pace, but I agree that as upgrades there are better wheels. However as backup or training wheels, I would recommend them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
vtrider said:
What are you looking to upgrade to? The DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheelset has really caught my eye as being a lighter and very reliable wheelset to potentially upgrade to. Would you recommend the Race Lites given your experience with them? If I had a chance to sell them now and upgrade, based on your experience with them would you go with something else? Thanks for your post.
I'm looking at something along the lines of Scandium Dura Ace or maybe an Easton EA90 SLX or Ksyrium SL Premiums. Basically high end non-carbon, light rims. I weigh 150-155, so the only issue I worry about is getting a good hub in a semi-durable and stiff rim for the rough chip seals I ride around here.

I would recommend them as a decent wheelset, but again - I want something a little lighter for the climbing I do (I live in northern California and ride in the mountains quite a bit).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts