Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'll be riding the Etape in July (lots of climbing, therefore lots of fast descending) and was a bit concerned about my current wheels.
Gipiemme Grecal Parade, look nice but 1830 grams (a bit heavy) and only 16 spokes front and rear (main concern is busting a spoke = $crewed).
A friend has offered his spare wheels for me to use, Bontrager Race Lites, around 100 grams lighter, and 20 spokes front/ 24 rear. Should I use the Bonty's or just bite the bullet and get a handbuilt set with 28 front/ 32 rear and hopefully less than 1500 grams?
I weigh around 162 lbs. Suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much for the race lites? I have a set on my bike. A rear spoke broke on me a couple of wks ago. It broke down near the hub and the rim bent right away. Luckily I had just left my local bike shop and only had to walk 1 block to get it fixed. In fairness to the wheels some of the spokes had been damaged by my son when the rear mech. was out of adjustment and the chain came off the cass. onto the spokes. If it's not much more I would have a set of custom wheels made from odds and endos. He seems very knowledgable and reasonably priced. That's what I intend to do this spring.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Get a wheelset built. You can do that, get a set that's around1400-1500g for $500 or less that will be more durable than either of the wheelsets you mentioned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
My friend is actually offering me the use of the Bonty's free, which is very cool of him, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still a bit wary of them for intended application. Getting a set built is a good idea anyhow, can't go wrong having a spare wheelset. I was thinking Nimble Spider up front and Velocity Aerohead OC or DT Swis RR1.1 with Speedcific Perception rear.... sounds good?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i don't have enough miles on for this to be really substantial but i bought a set of race lites this fall and have trained on them through the winter and will race with them in the spring. i weigh 160 and feel confident; i bought them because as a mechanic I would see all the geezers with trek oclv's bring in race lite's for new tires that were in great true after millions of miles. also the hubs are nice.
that said i had to warranty my rear wheel out of the box because the hub body was too small and pinched the bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts