Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ummm the name kind of asks my question... i am looking at new bikes, and my choices are a Felt F65 Trek 2200 (basically same bike until the wheels...) and then possibly a Felt F55... but what are your views of the mention wheelsets??? Bontrager Race, Mavic Aksium Race, or Shimano 550...

russell

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
russellhitchcock said:
ummm the name kind of asks my question... i am looking at new bikes, and my choices are a Felt F65 Trek 2200 (basically same bike until the wheels...) and then possibly a Felt F55... but what are your views of the mention wheelsets??? Bontrager Race, Mavic Aksium Race, or Shimano 550...

russell
My view is that you shouldn't pick a bike/frame based on the wheels. Pick the bike/frame based on the fit and how it feels on the road. Is a dealer giving you a choice on the wheels?

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
alienator said:
My view is that you shouldn't pick a bike/frame based on the wheels. Pick the bike/frame based on the fit and how it feels on the road. Is a dealer giving you a choice on the wheels?
The three wheel-sets are generally equivalent. Maybe a few hundred gram weight difference but otherwise all will perform well. Don't let them drive your choice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had experiences with the wheels...

And experience tells me to stay clear of the Bontrager Race due to an issue with the durabilty of the hubs. They tend to die prematurely if you ride lots in wet weather.

The Aksiums are nice riding and very good looking wheels. They look fast even when the bike is in the bike stand. They have very beefy and heavy rims which are bomb proof but accelerate a bit slower. The hubs are Mavic quality which means that they are smooth and very well sealed. They weigh 2000g.

The r550s are smooth rolling due to the excellent shimano bearings. Noticably better than the Aksium. But the wheels have lighter rims which are rather flexy. Be prepared to rub the rear brakes during hard corners. They weigh 1850g.

Get the Aksiums for the looks and sturdiness and the shimano for the smoother hubs and lighter weight. Or....

.... spend the money on a set of shimano 105 10 speed hubs laced to DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and 2x32 standard double butted spokes for the low rolling resistance, lighter weight (<1800g), comfortable ride, lateral and radial stiffness and ease of maintainance. They do not look too shabby either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts