Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a local group ride today I had a gentleman offer to sell me a set of Bontrager Race X Lite Wheels he says he has 350 mile on. Thought they were to still and wanted a wheel with more flex for his Lemond (he replaced them with Reynolds EC90's). He is asking $250. I have just read a number of reviews of the rims cracking. Is this a big problem with Bontrager wheels and have they updated these wheels to solve the problem, or should I just stay away from the wheels. I was looking to update to the Williams 30's but this gentleman made the offer so I figured I would check them out.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah what year are they. If they are the pre 2008 wheels (identified by a black colored hub), I would pass. The hubs experienced some issues. If they are the 2008 ones (Identified by a silver/alloy hub), then the rear wheel has issues with improper thread lock on spokes/nipples, and it does lead to a cracked rim. I have had one replaced myself.

That being said. $250 is not so bad for the 2008, especially if the rear wheel is carefully rebuilt...I would let the LBS do that, that way if they FUBAR it then it is a warranty repair/replace for them. These are a reasonable light sub 1500gram everyday wheelset.

I would talk to the guy selling them to try and find out what if any issues he has had. Then, especially with the rear, check for true; carefully check the rim surface at each spoke hole for fine & minute cracking. Check each nipple so see how chewed it looks (evidence) of a lot of truing issues. If you have access to a tensionometer, check the spoke tensions, especially for uniformity of the DS and NDS spokes. (You can google for Bontrager wheel building specs. there are a couple floating around the net that have tension ranges for most Bonty wheelsets.)

HTH
zac

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
$250 is a smoking deal. I would consider buying them and then reselling them unless the guy was offering them to you as a favor. The last I looked they were selling for about $375 on ebay.

I had a set of Race X Lite Aeros and had no problems with them other than they ware a bit laterally flexy. I notices on slow speed turns that the rear would flex and scrub the brakes. I am a fairly big guy at 200#.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
I had a set of Race X Lite Aeros and had no problems with them other than they ware a bit laterally flexy. I notices on slow speed turns that the rear would flex and scrub the brakes. I am a fairly big guy at 200#.
Ditto, I get a lot of flex on climbs.

There O.K. I guess, but at $250 I would rather get a pair of ultega open pro or CXP33s from BWW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have the black hubs so they must be pre 2008. I believe I will invest in something else. Even at $250 if I am constantly worried about failure I will not enjoy my rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.