Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I love 'em. I have had a set of the clinchers since 2003 and besides a few bearing changes they have been worry free, I used them for everything, road, training, cross and they have been fine. I also have a set of the tubulars from 2007 and they worked great for cross. The DT hubset is super nice and though it takes a bit of extra maintainence it sure is smooth.
There had previously been problems with hubs/rims cracking but that should be worked out now. I say go for it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Huh. Seems I am in the minority then. I used these for about 3 races and some training last fall and they went pretty far off true. And I am light (130 lbs at best) and ride lightly.
Used them on the road for maybe 2-3k since 2005 when new.

Personally, I think its worth the extra spokes. Plus, truing is a lot easier with external nipples.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Those Bontrager wheels are pretty sturdy. My teammate has raced and trained on them (clinchers with a Powertap rear hub) on the road and for cross for several seasons with no problems. I have also used a rear one (maybe not that version, mine has 31mm deep aluminum clincher rim and Powertap hub) for 2 seasons on the road without it going out of true (I'm 170-185 lbs and more a sprinter than a climber). I've also done a handful of cross races on the Bontrager super light shallow-section carbon fiber tubulars, and they did not break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.