Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 5200 (2005) with RaceLite wheels. A friend of mine has a pair of last year's SLs which he has only used for about 1 month.

He wants to upgrade his wheelset and will give me a good deal on his SLs.

I will never race. I do a lot of urban trails (Toronto) and am not unhappy with the RaceLites.

However, the SLs are about 300gm lighter.
Is this an upgrade that makes sense? Are they strong enough for urban use (the Racelites have never been out of true), are they a significant improvement for about $400?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've put several thousand miles on both these wheels. The SL's are smoother feeling and are slightly better in a climb. The ride and the stiffness of the two are very close. If I had to choose between the two I'd take the SL's without having to think about it but I will never say anything negative about the Race Lites. I've beat the crap out of both wheels and have never had any issues with either of them. Whether it's worth $400 is up to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just fitted the Mavics to my 5200 to replace the Race Lites the bike came with. I genuinely think you can notice the weight saving and the front wheel is much more laterally rigid. I'm not saying the Race Lites are bad, I've had no problems with them and will still use them for poorer weather conditions. It say go for it if you can afford to

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.