Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find some feedback on these shoes.
Looking to upgrade my shoes this season and my LBS is pushing these shoes.
They look like a decent buy at $179.99 but hoping someone has used them recently.
Please help or forward any reviews to me.
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
962 Posts
From what I have heard they have gone with an American style last. The American shoe tends to have a wider toe box, more volume in the mid foot, and narrower heel.

This is only what I have read. I haven't been able to try them on, but hope to in the near future.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bontrager shoes

I started one of the above threads on the Bontrager shoes. I have not seen the top of the line but have tried on the RL's. The fit is pretty good and the toe box is wider than a Sidi, But overall I'm not impressed with the total package. The top strap that attaches to the rachet was not consistently stitched to the shoe in the same place, the stitching was just not executed like a top of the line brand shoe, and the strap didn't seem long enough. The rachet system is about as cheap as could be, it does not look like it will last as compared to any other brand of shoe I have tried or owned. It was about as basic a closure as could be had, certainly does not compare to a Sidi, Specialized, Schimano....I have decided to give the 2009 Specialized Pro Road Shoes a try. They retail for $260 and fit just as wide in the toe box, and I think are more comforable and far better made. Maybe Bontrager needs a few years to work out the kinks. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The eSOLES insole which was their big schmazzo deal with the shoes was hell on my foot. Why in the world would there be an empty gap on a transition/arch plate? it bugged me to all ends. I returned the Race Lites after giving them as much abuse as I could for 28 days just to make sure it was the eSOLE, and not me.

Oh, you can get new arch plates or custom molded eSOLES for $70-300.... F*** that after spending $175 for a shoe.

I have a pair of Adidas Giranos, and love their semi-felxible feel. I guess I didn't need carbon in my shoes afterall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied and keep them coming.
I was concerned about quality issues and they maybe need another year or two.
I have been riding for three years now and currently use some entry level shoes.
When you try new shoes can you feel the comfort or does it take some time in the saddle to get the feel?
Maybe I need to look at other manufactures.
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Brianv said:
Thanks to everyone who replied and keep them coming.
I was concerned about quality issues and they maybe need another year or two.
I have been riding for three years now and currently use some entry level shoes.
When you try new shoes can you feel the comfort or does it take some time in the saddle to get the feel?
Maybe I need to look at other manufactures.
Thanks
Brian
That is the best thing with many Bontrager products.... If you have any inklink of interest in them... get them. 30 days, *No questions asked return.

Now I'm not saying go out and trash them in three days, but I really put mine through many nights on the trainer/rollers with many different kinds of insoles after the retail insoles didn't fit me. At the end of that tiem period... I really had to look at my collegiate level investment. They weren't compatible enough for me, and I returned them. I got a sad look from my LBS owner's face, but he understood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just purchased a pair of these last night, but I havn't ridden them much yet. They just seemed to fit my feet the best of anything i tried on. As funktekk said, they have a very narrow heel but a wider toe box (I can never fit into sidi for this reason, they are either too narrow all the way down, or the wide version is too loose). I agree, the ratchet certainly is chincy. Mentioned as much to the sales person. But Trek has always been very easy for me to deal with, if I run into problems they'll be sure to hear from me. I'm hoping to log 120 miles or so this weekend. I'll try to give more feedback after.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I purchased a pair of RL Bontrager from my local bike shop to show local support, and after getting fitted I went out for a ride and came back after 3 miles my left foot was hurting so bad that I told them I wanted another pair with the same size, I just knew it was a manufacture defect. I was fine but I replaced the esoles with the specialized insoles night and day diffrence.The Esoles are friggin Crap.Overall the shoes are ok. I got em for $150.00 New w discount. I used them and they are not bad for the price and for carbon soles but I ended up passing them to my Son who loves them. I have since purchased Shimano SH300 and these are freaking awesome shoes. Nothing wrong w Bontrager Race light if you dont want to shell out the $300 for some shimanos.

Ride Em hard!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dunno, if anyone is thinking of picking up a pair of these, i'm not going to dissuade them. apart from the cheap feeling latch i have no real complaints. After two back-to-back long rides, about 140 miles on them total now, they seem to still feel just as well as they did at the LBS. I needed to adjust the angle of my cleat on my left shoe after the first day, but they felt great on day two. They are nice and light, breathe well enough, very stiff on the climbs. And I really like the way they look.

As with any shoe, this is certainly an item to patronize your LBS for. After searching a long time (and returning a pair of awful Cat-1 shoes) and trying on many pairs, found that you can't shop for shoes on the net. At least not for an application like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts