Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ruined my rear wheel on a pothole and I'm now looking for a new wheelset. I had just the stock RS-010 wheelset so not a huge loss.

My LBS has a set of 2014 Bonty RXL TLRs (aka Race X Lites i think) on clearance for around $680 CAD + taxes

I was originally looking at getting the new wider Zonda C17's online for $480 CAD (with shipping, taxes and duties, likely around $750 CAD)

Wondering if anyone has experience with the RXLs? I like them for a few reasons. LBS is a Trek dealer so servicing/repairs of the wheels if/when needed should be fairly easy. I'd be supporting a good LBS, it's on sale from $1400, has DT 240 hubs and from what I'm reading, they're pretty good wheels. Shop compares them to the Dura-ace C24 (price point wise and performance). So at a discount, seems like a good idea.

The Zonda's are pretty much a go to alloy wheel upgrade for most riders' first wheel upgrade. Very good rep, solid build, campy quality, smooth hubs, etc... At full price for the RXL's I wouldn't consider them as they cost significantly more than the Campy's. But factoring in duties and taxes, the C17 is around the same price as the RXL delivered to my door.

Thoughts?

PS: I'm a pretty active recreational rider. I do a mix of faster group rides (30-33km/h) over 55-60km distances, solos (30km/h) and weekend rides at a local hill for 55km (4-5% gradient avg maybe). Occasionally I'll do a metric century event in the summer or spring. I'm probably not too concerned about aero for the riding that I do. I'm 150lbs and my riding area has a pretty good mix of nice smooth pave and rough older roads. TIA

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
For around that cost, you could get a set of wheels built that are probably lighter and stronger than the Campy or Trek wheels. I usually go with White Industries T11 hubs and Sapim cxray spokes. I like HED rims. You can drop $100 by going with Sapim laser spokes.

The wheels I've had built come in at around 1550 grams. You probably want 28R/24F three cross/two cross lacing. They won't get destroyed running through a pot hole.

That said, I recently bought a set of Campy Neutron wheels to put on my refurbished Colnago C40. Just to top off the cool Italian look. So far they've been great. Aside from tires being hard to mount, the big drawback is that if a spoke breaks, I have to buy a "replacement kit" that consists of a right and left spoke, for $50. They were cheap enough ($550) that I figured WTF. I've got other wheels. But for go to wheels, I like the custom sets I have best.

Probably not the advice you're looking for, but hey, it's a response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have reason to believe that could happen again I'd stay away from the Campy wheels because replacement spoke and rims are expensive and could be hard to get in a timely manner. Not sure if the Bony's are the same in that respect but I suspect they are.
probably not. i told myself i wont do group rides with rookies anymore or if I do, to stay in front or if i have to be behind, stay a good distance to be able to see ahead.

with that said, that is one negative i've listed about the campy's. although the repair kit is $40 online it seems (jensonusa) so i would likely just stock a set.

it's a good point to consider. not much info online about the bontys spokes so ill have to ask the Trek dealer this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For around that cost, you could get a set of wheels built that are probably lighter and stronger than the Campy or Trek wheels. I usually go with White Industries T11 hubs and Sapim cxray spokes. I like HED rims. You can drop $100 by going with Sapim laser spokes.

The wheels I've had built come in at around 1550 grams. You probably want 28R/24F three cross/two cross lacing. They won't get destroyed running through a pot hole.

That said, I recently bought a set of Campy Neutron wheels to put on my refurbished Colnago C40. Just to top off the cool Italian look. So far they've been great. Aside from tires being hard to mount, the big drawback is that if a spoke breaks, I have to buy a "replacement kit" that consists of a right and left spoke, for $50. They were cheap enough ($550) that I figured WTF. I've got other wheels. But for go to wheels, I like the custom sets I have best.

Probably not the advice you're looking for, but hey, it's a response.
Thanks for the response! It's a great response which prompted me to ask around about local builders. I saw a Pacenti SL23 v2 build with WI T11 and CXray spokes. $700 USD or $1100 CAD after conversion and taxes. Bit more than I can afford to spend unfortunately. I'm thinking more around $500-600 mark.

At that price range, there seems to be compromise in the hubs. Sample builds are Boyd Altamonte Lite rims with sapim laser spokes but generic hubs (novatec/bitex stuff). Another is H Plus Son Archetype with Ultegra hubs and sapim spokes (the most basic they have i think).

I'll continue looking into custom builds as that seems to be the general consensus for good reliable go to wheels. if nothing else, i'll pony up for a factory set for likely a bit more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts