Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding this year, a newbie if you will. Got myself a Trek 1500 during the Spring Sales event at a local bike shop. Anyway, has anyone heard/used the Bontrager Select wheel and have had it bent while riding it? I was riding home on a flat bike trail going around 15 mph with a head-wind. I started to ride standing up while rocking the bike side-to-side, the next thing I know, the front wheel just gave and bent, causing it the front to stop spinning, I, naturally, rolled over and landed on my shoulder, ER, 6 hours later, a couple of broken bones, and bruised shoulder...any comments would be much appreciated.

· Registered
571 Posts
Thats nasty looking, I have never seen a wheel bend like that before. I would be contacting the manufacturer.

cheers

Ralph

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
asterisk said:
Well it looks like it split right on the seam, I'd say that's a manufacturing defect if you were just riding along and not going down a stair case or something.
A co-worker of mine who is an avid cyclist thought the same thing. He thinks the welding may have failed. By the way, the wheel only has about 550 miles on it. I have always thought the spoke pattern is a bit unconventional. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alter Ego said:
awe man. Next time you get in your bike, do a wheels ful inspection and check for the spokes tension.
Will the spoken tension attribute to the failure of the wheel? The wheel was making some noise the first few weeks. I took it back to the bike shop and they couldn't tell what's wrong with it. After a few days, I got the wheel back and the noise went away. Maybe that's what they did - tighten up the spokes.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PsyDoc said:
A couple of broken bones? Dude, you doing o.k.? Did you join the "I-broke-my-collar-bone" club? If so, that break is one of the most painful ones you can have.
I am ok. I was really lucky now comes to think of it, no head injury (not that I noticed yet :-D). I could have looking like Superman, you know?

What should I do with the Bike? Should I take it back to the shop, get a second opinion from a different dealer, or contact Trek directly (although on Trek's website, it states that they only deal with authorized dealer for warranty work)?

I want to get a complete bike replacement plus all the upgrades I put on the bike (ultegra crank, rear derailer, Max Flite saddle, etc.), also Trek should give me an better wheel (like Bontrager Race) I am afraid they (Trek) just take the bike and give swap out the front wheel and give it back to me, I really don't have confidence on those Bontrager Select wheels anymore. Another concerns are those carbon forks, carbon fibre material are susceptable to internal damages, not something visible to naked eyes. So, a complete bike replacement is a must. Do you think this is reasonable?

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Seriously, you didn't mention, and I'm curious -- what did you break?

If you were riding in normal conditions like you say, this definitely sounds like a contact-your-attorney-for-further-information.

lots LOTS of riders use carbon forks without problems.

I can understand your lack of confidence in the Select wheelset. The race is the same thing, though, just lighter, isn't it?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Argentius said:
Seriously, you didn't mention, and I'm curious -- what did you break?

If you were riding in normal conditions like you say, this definitely sounds like a contact-your-attorney-for-further-information.

lots LOTS of riders use carbon forks without problems.

I can understand your lack of confidence in the Select wheelset. The race is the same thing, though, just lighter, isn't it?
Don't get me wrong, I don't have problems with carbon forks. It just that once you crash your bike, there may be hidden damages that maybe harder to detect when compare to aluminum - that's just my perception. As for wheelset, maybe I should go with something like Mavic.

Talking to attorneys costs money, so unless Trek doesn't act in good faith. I am willing to give them a chance to do the right thing.

· Folsom City Blues...
7,422 Posts
Accident Attoreys don't charge up front.

An accident attorney will not cost you a cent up front. Accident attorneys will take up to 33.33% after the case is settled. Look in your yellow pages and give one a call.

You may may have a case with the LBS and Trek. But, you won't know till you speak to A A to see if you have something...

Peace :cool:

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I'm with him.

When I got hit and run by a driver, I contacted a bicycle-friendly attorney in my area, and at no charge he provided me with a list of advice on how to deal with the insurance companies -- what to say, what not to say, etc., and to call him if there were any problems.

Some of his advice pieces I wouldn't have thought of on my own, and it helped me get full value for my destroyed bike, kit, and medical bills.

Best wishes and speedy recovery.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R 1000 said:
An accident attorney will not cost you a cent up front. Accident attorneys will take up to 33.33% after the case is settled. Look in your yellow pages and give one a call.

You may may have a case with the LBS and Trek. But, you won't know till you speak to A A to see if you have something...

Peace :cool:
I think I want to see how the LBS and Trek react to my claim before contacting an attorney. Companies put on the defensive when you get attorneys involve. I am a reasonable guy, I just want to be riding again soon.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Argentius said:
I'm with him.

When I got hit and run by a driver, I contacted a bicycle-friendly attorney in my area, and at no charge he provided me with a list of advice on how to deal with the insurance companies -- what to say, what not to say, etc., and to call him if there were any problems.

Some of his advice pieces I wouldn't have thought of on my own, and it helped me get full value for my destroyed bike, kit, and medical bills.

Best wishes and speedy recovery.
Thanks. I want to be riding out there soon. I miss riding already and it's only been a week.

· Registered
830 Posts
hermie.g said:
I think I want to see how the LBS and Trek react to my claim before contacting an attorney. Companies put on the defensive when you get attorneys involve. I am a reasonable guy, I just want to be riding again soon.
you have to go through your trek dealer. good luck in recovery & bike dealings!
keep us informed on how it's going.

· Registered
51 Posts
Those rims are garbage. They came on my Lemond Poprad cross bike. I clipped a rock and the rim dented in about 1/2". I didn't hit it very hard and if I was on some Mavics it wouldn't have been a problem. It buckled the rim a little where it was tough to true. I was shocked at how soft the material was when I just took some pliers to bent it back.......like warm butter. JUNK. I don't think this is an LBS issue, it looks more like a manufactures issue.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
timmyc said:
any progress on this? How are you bones? What has Trek/LBS decided to do. Also, what year was you 1500? I have a '04 and now I am concerned a bit. thanks.
Sorry, I have been away for business. The LBS contacted Trek and, although my bike wasn't replaced, they replaced the front rim and max flight saddle. LBS said they did a thorough check on my bike and even had a second guy do a thorough check. The bike is in "mint condition". I am thinking of selling wheels on ebay and get myself a set of mavic open pro. Bones are fine, just a small lump. I should be back in a week or so. My 1500 is 2006. I would get a set of mavic open pro (traditional spoke arrangement) and shimono tires, if I were you. (prices are about the same as the Bontrager wheelset)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.