Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually pay no attention to anything Trek branded but was surprised at the extent to which one of my local LBS's has brought in Bontrager tubulars.

In fact I saw no others in the store.

I was not even aware that Bontrager was selling a tubular.

Anyone know what tires these are? Are just a rebranded Vittoria or Clement? Round or lumpy?

Any user reports on 'em??

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Trek's rules

toomanybikes said:
one of my local LBS's has brought in Bontrager tubulars. In fact I saw no others in the store. I was not even aware that Bontrager was selling a tubular.
I have no idea who really makes these tires, but the word is that Trek dealers are essentially required to carry a VERY high proportion of Trek merchandise, whether it be clothing, spare parts, tires, whatever. So if a Trek dealer wants to sell tubulars, they are nearly forced to carry the Bontrager's exclusively.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
...So if a Trek dealer wants to sell tubulars, they are nearly forced to carry the Bontrager's exclusively.
My LBS, who is a large Trek dealer here, doesn't carry the Bontrager tubbies, only Vredestein.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I doubt it

Kerry Irons said:
I have no idea who really makes these tires, but the word is that Trek dealers are essentially required to carry a VERY high proportion of Trek merchandise, whether it be clothing, spare parts, tires, whatever. So if a Trek dealer wants to sell tubulars, they are nearly forced to carry the Bontrager's exclusively.
Most LBS's around here (Los Angeles) that carry Trek bikes don't even have anything besides the bikes (all of them carry other brands as well). Maybe Disco kits and bottles, but that's it. Now, if you're talking about the Trek "superstores", that's another subject Kerry.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Uh, yeah

stihl said:
Most LBS's around here (Los Angeles) that carry Trek bikes don't even have anything besides the bikes (all of them carry other brands as well). Maybe Disco kits and bottles, but that's it. Now, if you're talking about the Trek "superstores", that's another subject Kerry.
A bit of blushing here. I think, now that I reflect on it, that it was Specialized that was being heavy handed with its dealers. However, it is now clear that I have no effing idea what I'm talking about, so please disregard the previous post :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Trek has a number of dealer incentive programs

Kerry Irons said:
A bit of blushing here. I think, now that I reflect on it, that it was Specialized that was being heavy handed with its dealers. However, it is now clear that I have no effing idea what I'm talking about, so please disregard the previous post :)
One shop I worked at (a local chain of stores), I swear the owner was sleeping with the Trek CEO, nearly everything we sold was Trek, Bontrager, Gary Fisher, Bontrager, Wrench Force, Klein, etc., etc.... We had the super premium platinum gold AAA+ dealer account and did massive orders from them prior to our annual summer sale. Specialized does this as well. The last Bicycle Retailer I read a couple of months ago (February I think) had an interesting article about the pressure dealers are feeling to sell exclusively from only one of the big brands. The biggest brands sell practically every bicycle accessory to go with their bikes and can offer big discounts on orders that can save the dealer some money, but you're left with little selection when you get to pick matching Specialized or Trek tubes, water bottles, cages, seat packs, pumps, jerseys, shorts, patch kits etc., etc. with you're brand new bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting comments.

I actually did not know about "Trek Superstores" until I saw one on vacation last month, couldn't believe the building I saw from the freeway could really be selling Trek bikes so did some searching on the internet - sure enough. Never did go back and go into it.

Clearly,this local shop has climbed way up Trek's radar screen. They have events there through the year. Armstrong normally drops by once a year , etc.

Last summer I went in and bought a pair of Schwalbe tubulars - quite liked them so thought I would pick a couple more. Nope.

The only tubulars in the store now are branded Bontrager. ALL of the computers are Trek. All of the gloves, saddle bags, etc - everything is branded Trek.

The bikes in the store are Trek
Lemond
Fisher and Klein

Last year there were no Lemonds or Kleins.

Interesting moves but sad to see.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Anti-gravity said:
The last Bicycle Retailer I read a couple of months ago (February I think) had an interesting article about the pressure dealers are feeling to sell exclusively from only one of the big brands. The biggest brands sell practically every bicycle accessory to go with their bikes and can offer big discounts on orders that can save the dealer some money, but you're left with little selection when you get to pick matching Specialized or Trek tubes, water bottles, cages, seat packs, pumps, jerseys, shorts, patch kits etc., etc. with you're brand new bike.
I just bought a bike a month ago, and all that other good stuff
Bike: Lemond
Gloves/jersey: C-Dale
Shorts: PI
Socks: Sockguy (own company as far as I know)
Helmet: Trek (yea I know....lemond)
shoes/cages: specialized

so there, I have all three big guys rep'd......:D

·
Fett
22 Posts
So, back to the orignal question, who makes the Bontrager tubulars? I see that the Bontrager Race Lites (lower end model) say "made in Thailand" if that helps narrow it down.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Fett said:
So, back to the orignal question, who makes the Bontrager tubulars? I see that the Bontrager Race Lites (lower end model) say "made in Thailand" if that helps narrow it down.
Thailand would strongly imply they are coming out of Vittoria's factory there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts