Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had any experience with the Bontrager Carbon Aeros? No reviews on them on the site. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
magic32 said:
Anybody had any experience with the Bontrager Carbon Aeros? No reviews on them on the site. Any info would be appreciated.
I have a set that came with my Project 1 Madone. I think they are a good looking wheel, they seem very well built, perfectly trued and evenly tensioned right out of the box.

I also learned a bit about Bontrager wheels when I attended Trek University.
They do a lot of testing on their wheels and say that these wheels can be an "everyday wheel" contrary to the purists beliefs. Your size, riding style and terrain could have different effects.
Bontrager does not put a weight limit on this wheelset.
The rims do not have the "pulsing" when on the brakes that others do. This is due to Bontragers construction process.

For an aero wheel they are relatively light, 1400 grams.

I'll keep putting miles on mine and let you know if I have any new news but I think they are a safe bet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monty,

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and picked up a set for a pretty good price.....1400 grams is relatively lite but my thought was exactly what you stated that they would be a bit more durable than the super light wheels with better braking which according to all you read seems to be the bane of carbon wheels existence.

I currently run Campy Eurus wheels which are a great set but I'll take off about 300 grams with the Bontragers and tubulars and get significant aero advantage.....not a bad deal.

Are you using the bontrager pads with yours? I have heard the Shimano carbon pads are also recommended.

Thanks for the feedback

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I have the Bontrager pads. I haven't ridden lots of other carbon wheels but I can say that the Bonti pads on the Bonti wheels have pretty good stopping power.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Bontrager hub flange breakages?

montyw2 said:
I also learned a bit about Bontrager wheels when I attended Trek University.
They do a lot of testing on their wheels and say that these wheels can be an "everyday wheel" contrary to the purists beliefs. Your size, riding style and terrain could have different effects..
Did they mention at Trek University what they are doing about Bontrager hub flange breakages? I've seen a number of Bontrager hubs where the spokes broke out of the hubs flanges, and heard about quite a few more.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Mark McM said:
Did they mention at Trek University what they are doing about Bontrager hub flange breakages? I've seen a number of Bontrager hubs where the spokes broke out of the hubs flanges, and heard about quite a few more.
I had one of those hubs. What a crap design, methinks. The DT internals are the only nice part. As soon as the hub flange went, the wheel was instantly unrideable. Even better, Trek walked the dog sending a replacement: it took 'em two weeks. Oh....the decals are hideous, too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mark McM said:
They did. I actually had my Race X Lite clincher hub break about 2 weeks prior to my attending Trek U. My wheel had some fairly reasonable mileage on it so I wasn't too shocked. I was able to have my wheel covered under warranty. They said anyone with a wheel failure should get it covered as long as it's within the 1 year warranty. My new wheel came in about 2 weeks after I returned the old one. That was more than fair enough for me but I have some spare wheels and didn't scream and cry that I would be wheelless. Some guys aren't that fortunate.

The Race X lite clinchers are great wheels, they had a bad run in '04-'05. Some people had good experiences with getting the warranty handled, some did not. I can't say this should preclude anyone from buying Bonti product. I have had a number of guys who've experienced some failures with Ksryiums too.l Any time you use a lightweight wheel as a daily driver you have to expect things like this to happen from time to time.

They also did a nice cost/weight/aero comparison between their Race X Lite clincher and the comparable Ksyrium. I don't want to open that can of worms but I'm glad I got the Bontrager wheels.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
montyw2 said:
They did. I actually had my Race X Lite clincher hub break about 2 weeks prior to my attending Trek U. My wheel had some fairly reasonable mileage on it so I wasn't too shocked. I was able to have my wheel covered under warranty. They said anyone with a wheel failure should get it covered as long as it's within the 1 year warranty.
One year warranty??

What kind of mileage did you have on the wheels before they failed?

-Eric

·
Registered
675 Posts
Why not a recall?

ergott said:
One year warranty??

-Eric
If I were them, I would be replacing/repairing wheels for any customer that had this problem, regardless of whether the wheel was still under warranty. But technically they don't have to do that I guess, since a warranty is explicitly designed to cover manufacturing defects for that limited time period.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
euro-trash said:
Over Eurus? Any data to back this up?
Your absolutely right. I have not seen any specific COD info on the Eurus wheels. While there is not a specific comparison most of the data I have seen in regards to lower COD is achieved thru a number of design variables with the foremost being rim depth. My Eurus wheels are circa 2003 and they are 30mm with the 2005 Bontragers at 44mm. Until I find any COD data on the Eurus I'm taking a flyer on the Bontragers............

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
ergott said:
One year warranty??

-Eric
I had less than 2000 miles on mine when the rear came apart. FWIW, I don't think Race X Lites are particularly light weight.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Anti-gravity said:
If I were them, I would be replacing/repairing wheels for any customer that had this problem, regardless of whether the wheel was still under warranty..
And we aren't even getting to the biggest source of problems on the al version of these wheels, the spokes pulling through the rim. At Christmas I went back to a shop I used to work at a few years back. They were so fed-up with these wheels, they were selling the Bontis at cost to get rid of them.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
3000 km

ergott said:
One year warranty??

-Eric
I had 3000 km on my 2004 Race X-Lites when I noticed that DS spokes were pulling through the rim and also the hub flange! I only rode them in races, and they were never crashed or abused. Unfortunately, they were out of the 1 year window, plus I bought them new on eBay so my warranty situation was even more murky.

Personally, I think the Race X-Lites are crap. Apart from the rim and hub flange issues, I also found the rear to be exceptionally flexy in hard cornering or steep out-of-the-saddle climbing. As to why the rims and hub flanges are failing, I think they obviously are under-engineered but I also believe the use of the DT Aero Speed spokes on the drive side contribute to the problem along with too much tension. These are heavy super stiff spokes and much like a DT 14g straight-gauge spoke they concentrate loads on one spoke. I think Bontrager would have better luck if they built the wheels with the DT Aero Lite spokes on the drive side (they are used on the front and rear NDS) as they are much more elastic.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
funkenstein said:
the hub shells are also made by DT!! The whole entire hub is DT made.
But whose design is the hub shell? Seems like something out of the Bontrager/Trek/Old Rolf playbook, not something that DT would do on their own wheels. Still, if DT designed those hubs, they need to beat themselves into submission for putting such kack on the market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
not forged

alienator said:
But whose design is the hub shell? Seems like something out of the Bontrager/Trek/Old Rolf playbook, not something that DT would do on their own wheels. Still, if DT designed those hubs, they need to beat themselves into submission for putting such kack on the market.
DT doesn't make any forged hubs yet. their hubs are machined from billet and cannot withstand the higher tension of paired spoke wheels. nuff said. although they are moving towards forging soon. bout time!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Tension: Pairing spokes vs. reducing spoke count

funkenstein said:
DT doesn't make any forged hubs yet. their hubs are machined from billet and cannot withstand the higher tension of paired spoke wheels. nuff said. although they are moving towards forging soon. bout time!
Why should pairing the spokes have any influence on spoke tension? I think you mean that the flanges can't withstand the higher tension of reduced spoke count wheels. With fewer spokes, there is an increase in both static tension and load cycling. Merely pairing of spokes does not influence this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
from rolf's website:

" Greater spoke tensions: Paired spoke technology allows Rolf Prima wheels to have static spoke tensions that are two to four times higher than traditional low spoke count wheels. Higher spoke tensions allow for a more torsionally stiff wheel. Since traditional wheels require higher individual spoke tensions to maintain adequate torsional stiffness, rim weight must be increased significantly to offset the unbalanced lateral forces at play with an alternating spoke pattern "

but does bontrager actually build the wheels with higher spoke tensions than an equivalent traditionally laced wheel - i dunno?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts