Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS owner made me an idiotic price for a set of the new Bonti carbon clinchers and boy am I glad I took the deal. Incredible ride! Acceleration is fantastic:D I've logged around 150 miles on them since purchase and my admiration continues to grow which helps displace the memory that I spent a little over $1500 on a set of wheels. Thought I would share my excitement and my $.02.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bontrager tests their wheels by sticking them on a large fly-wheel looking thing going about 40 mph and change. They put about 240 pounds of pressure onto the wheel, and that flywheel has a 3 inch long bump in it that is about an inch tall. Very very decent way to test a wheel if you ask me. They won't follow through with production of a wheel unless it can satisfy them in keeping shape and strength through this test. The carbon clinchers are said to be the best in that test.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks for the info

Peith said:
bontrager tests their wheels by sticking them on a large fly-wheel looking thing going about 40 mph and change. They put about 240 pounds of pressure onto the wheel, and that flywheel has a 3 inch long bump in it that is about an inch tall. Very very decent way to test a wheel if you ask me. They won't follow through with production of a wheel unless it can satisfy them in keeping shape and strength through this test. The carbon clinchers are said to be the best in that test.
I assume that they but an inflated tire on the rim first? I also assume that the "bump" has a ramp angle, rather than a sharp edge (which would probably pinch flat the tire, at that speed and load)? How long do they run the wheel on this drum and what is the diameter of the drum (or at least how many "bumps per hour" do they subject the wheel to)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mark McM said:
I assume that they but an inflated tire on the rim first? I also assume that the "bump" has a ramp angle, rather than a sharp edge (which would probably pinch flat the tire, at that speed and load)? How long do they run the wheel on this drum and what is the diameter of the drum (or at least how many "bumps per hour" do they subject the wheel to)?
I think maybe you need to call their 1-800 number to find out all that. Your not planning on doing a home test, are you?

of course they had a tire inflated to recommended psi; i believe the bump was a rounded block, they run the wheel for 40 hours, I have no idea how many bump per hour they subject it to.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Endurance test

Peith said:
I think maybe you need to call their 1-800 number to find out all that. Your not planning on doing a home test, are you?

of course they had a tire inflated to recommended psi; i believe the bump was a rounded block, they run the wheel for 40 hours, I have no idea how many bump per hour they subject it to.
Well, 40 mph for 40 hours is 1600 miles, which is about 1,280,000 revolutions of a 700c wheel. That's a pretty decent endurance test (bump or no bump), as it subjects to the spokes to over a million load cycles (one load cycle per revolution).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mark McM said:
Well, 40 mph for 40 hours is 1600 miles, which is about 1,280,000 revolutions of a 700c wheel. That's a pretty decent endurance test (bump or no bump), as it subjects to the spokes to over a million load cycles (one load cycle per revolution).
Those are ballpark numbers. I forget what they actually are, but I rounded down. But yeah, if thats Keith's test, i'll trust it

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been quoted a good price for 2006 Race XXX lite carbon tubulars. I need some input if I should go for this wheel or spend alot more for Reynolds UL wheels or Zipp Z3 which wheels appear to be more aero. I am looking for a edge in our road rides which are on rolly terain. I ride dura ace 7801 clinchers. I do not want to buy new wheels unless there will be a noticable advantage. I do no not do tri events. Just road race and club rides.
Any input would be appretiated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Noticeable?

bedazzle410 said:
I do not want to buy new wheels unless there will be a noticable advantage. I do no not do tri events. Just road race and club rides.
Any input would be appretiated.
I guess it depends on what you find to be noticeable. Studies and tests show that the very best aerowheels can increase speed by about 0.5 mph from a nominal speed of 25 mph (at the same power and windless conditions). Of course, most "aero" wheels are not as good as the very best available aerowheels, so they will produce smaller gains. Whether or not a small fraction of 1 mph is noticeable depends on the rider and conditions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mark McM said:
I guess it depends on what you find to be noticeable. Studies and tests show that the very best aerowheels can increase speed by about 0.5 mph from a nominal speed of 25 mph (at the same power and windless conditions). Of course, most "aero" wheels are not as good as the very best available aerowheels, so they will produce smaller gains. Whether or not a small fraction of 1 mph is noticeable depends on the rider and conditions.
Have the numbers for how much weight effects things? Thanks

·
brownish
227 Posts
Rider weight limit?

I am interested in the XXX Carbon Team Clinchers and was just wondering if there is any maximum rider weight limit for these. I am 220 and dropping and just wanted to see if there is a rider weight limit for these wheels since they are carbon. Also, being heavier, will these wheels not last as long as a non carbon wheel? Also, how careful/delicate do you have to be with these wheels?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts