Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any wheel building experts out here that can give me a hand? I have an old set of Bontrager wheels. They’re the ones with DT Swiss 240 hubs branded as Bontragers and paired lacing. Exactly like these but not carbon, BONTRAGER XXX Race lite Carbon Fiber ROAD Wheelset bags brakepads skewers.

The rims are getting some wear and I happen to have a 20h DT Swiss RR585 sitting in my garage. If I were to buy a 24h match, how big of a pain would it be to lace those up with normal spacing? The way the front hub is built, it looks like I could radial lace them without issues…unless I’m missing something. In the rear I’m thinking radial on the NDS and 2x on the DS. Thoughts? This would be a first for me so I’m not sure how to go about measuring spokes without some trial and error.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,695 Posts
I'm really not sure what you are trying to ask, but if you are asking if you can lace a wheel with a spoke count different than the rim or hub drilling, then no, not a good idea.

·
Registered
472 Posts
No, he means he wants to use the hubs an re-lace to new rims, same hole count of 20/24, but traditional rims.

I think it would be ok for the rear, but a little more difficult to measure spoke length because the holes on the hub are spaced differently, meaning your spoke lengths would alternate too short, too long. My guess is you could run the numbers, then estimate the offset and add 'x' mm to one and subtract the same from the next, then alternate as you lace. This would only apply for the drive side and the NDS should be fine, with the possible exception of what I describe next.
The same problem doesn't apply in the same way up front. Being radial, the lengths will be correct, but the spokes will not exit straight from the hub, they will angle out slightly almost like if they were not radial, but only a bit. This is because the holes from one side of the hub to the other are aligned and not staggered. You may have issue with the spoke heads not seating properly and one can only guess if that will have any long term effect on the hub or the spoke.

I think I would try to get a paired rim from either Rolf or have one drilled for paired spokes by a place like Light Bicycle that will do custom drilling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts