Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've exhausted my book selection. I'm looking for a good 250+ page novel/biography/whatever. Or more than one, who cares. Books I've recently read include Freakonomics, almost all of Jane Austen, the Chronicles of Narnia, and Vanity Fair. Favorites include The Picture of Dorian Gray, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Liar's Club, The Federalist Papers, anything by VS Naipaul, etc.

Reccomendations? Until I get a new book to read, I'll content myself on rereading Edgar Alan Poe. Gotta love that creepy old guy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just read Under The Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It's a disturbing book, but very eye opening. I couldn't put it down. I think that I finished it in 3 days.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was riveting compared to A History of the US Supreme Court. ;)

Nah, I really like that kind of stuff. Common Sense makes my top 10 books easy, even if it's only a pamphlet. I wouldn't touch PO with a 10 foot pole, by the way.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
James Patterson is a very good author for suspense/mystery.

Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt) is a very good read about a family growing up during the depression in Ireland. It won a Purlitzer prize.

I forgot Elmore Leonard for mystery/suspense. He wrote Get Shorty(haven't read it but his other stuff is good)

·
Registered
32 Posts
A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey, and also the second book, My Friend Lenoard. They were awesome. Just remember that they are now fiction, and not true like he once was saying. There was quite a bit of contraversry about these books. Take a look online if you didn't hear anything about them on Oprah.

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

100 Years of Solitude

The New Dealer's War, Thomas Fleming

anything written by William Manchester

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

A Solider of the Great War, Halperin

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt) is a very good read about a family growing up during the depression in Ireland. It won a Purlitzer prize.
I've read that and the sequel, Tis. They're pretty good books.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff in Texas said:
Here are a couple that I liked and they are quite different from each other.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15..._1/104-9167477-7324733?_encoding=UTF8&s=books

1776 by David McCullough
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07..._1/104-9167477-7324733?_encoding=UTF8&s=books
I've read both and have to agree with you. Amazon reccomended them to me, so I bit. Rarely do I regret Amazon reccomendations. It took a while to build it up to this point, but the site is pretty much spot-on now.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
I read for a living. Honestly.

Weaveworld by Clive Barker.
Rabbit At Rest by John Updike. (You don't have to read the others first.)
Homeboy by Seth Morgan.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
Rubicon Beach by Steve Erickson.
Blood Father by Peter(?) Craig.

I can't think of any others right now, and I'm trying to avoid the classics, which you've probably already read.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
From a Buick 8
Stephen King
Not your usual crap in your pants, Stephen King novel, but pretty strange and weird.
Just my style.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
How about some mystery fluff? I've read quite a few by Dick Francis and am now reading Sue Grafton's series of books. No great works of literature, just fluff to read at night or while eating lunch at work or something.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
ive been reading elements of deductive inference all week. not really the easiest book to read and digest.

no one has mentioned the good doctor. his most famous work, fear and loathing in las vegas, is a good place to start.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
C'mon, no Clockwork Orange? I actually ordered that.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
paint said:
C'mon, no Clockwork Orange? I actually ordered that.
clockwork orange is an excellent book, but im not sure youll like it. mapei already said life of pi which is also a very good book

1 - 20 of 76 Posts