1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these on Nashbar today:

Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Todd Downs

and
The Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repar by Calvin Jones

Anyone recommend one over the other? Do you have another favorite?

· Registered
274 Posts
I second the recommendation for Zinn & The Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Following Mr. Zinn's instructions, I've rebuilt Campy 8 and 10 speed Ergo shifter levers, overhauled rear wheel freehubs, and built over a half-dozen wheelsets (lots of greasy fingerprints on the pages of my copy, too)

I also have an older copy of the Bicycling Magazine repair manual. Also worthwhile. Between the two books, I've been able to do 99% of the maintenance and repairs on my bikes.

· Registered
85 Posts
If you can drop the dough, Barnett's Manual is the way to go. You will not find a more complete resource for bike aintenance anywhere. Period. It has detailed instuctions and troubleshooting on EVERYTHING there could be in a bike. This includes stuff like suspension, so depending on what you're working on, you may not need it all, but it has been a truely useful tool to me. I think I got my set off amazon for $70. http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm

· Registered
313 Posts
The Park book, in essence, IS the printed version of the repair pages on their website.

This gives you a nice chance to preview it and see if it suits your needs.

I've recommended it to a few people who really found it easy and helpful.

Barnett's, though, is a cut above the rest.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Dinosaur said:
Zinn And The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance. I've used mine over the years evidenced by the greasy finger prints.

Park has a website with a repair help section. http://www.parktool.com/repair/ Sometimes when I am working on my bike it's just easier to stop and come click on the internet then leaf through some book. Depends on what it is.
I just gnabbed "Zinn" of the net for under $12 after shipping and love it. He explains things in such layman's terms (with drawings too!!! :D) that most of it seems 5-10x easier than it already is! Bearing (re)packing and shifter maintenance are big winners in the book!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.