Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.velonews.com/article/90571/

Australia's Robbie McEwen and Belgium's Tom Boonen may have suffered fractures after both fell during the closing stages of the Scheldeprijs in Belgium on Wednesday.

McEwen landed heavily on his right shoulder and seemed to be more seriously injured, according to Belgian TV station VRT.

The Australian complained of pain in his head, his neck, his chest and his legs and said he could have concussion, broken ribs and a punctured lung.
Yikes!
 

·
What offseason?
Joined
·
534 Posts
francois said:
Petacchi is a idiot.

fc
Petacchi changed his line but he's not at fault there - that's all McEwen. Petacchi went left which I can't say I like, but Van Avermaet took two full pedal revs after Petacchi cleared his wheel... then McEwen tried to fit into a space that wasn't there... leaned on Van Avermaet and carnage everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Is that McEwen's head that smacks the ground? Wow.
Sure looks like he was responsible. I'll bet he's seeing stars tonight. Helmet or not, hitting your noggin that hard could scramble your matter for a couple of days at least.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
gray8110 said:
Petacchi changed his line but he's not at fault there - that's all McEwen. Petacchi went left which I can't say I like, but Van Avermaet took two full pedal revs after Petacchi cleared his wheel... then McEwen tried to fit into a space that wasn't there... leaned on Van Avermaet and carnage everywhere.
Nope, it was Petacchi. Watch the centerline of P's and V's bikes, as soon as P moves to the left of V, down he goes. Classic wheel cut. V might've avoided it but is was P who moved left.

McEwen just happened to get landed on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
Petacchi did not swerve, he went to the barrier to force anyone that would pass to take the long way around. Van Avermet had already lost, he just didn't look up to see Petacchi coming over. If Petacchi had swerved erratically I could see it being his fault but he didn't.
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
gray8110 said:
Petacchi changed his line but he's not at fault there - that's all McEwen. Petacchi went left which I can't say I like, but Van Avermaet took two full pedal revs after Petacchi cleared his wheel... then McEwen tried to fit into a space that wasn't there... leaned on Van Avermaet and carnage everywhere.
I can see your point. McEwen is in Blue and White, not Lotto.

Petacchi swept from center to left and cut off Van Avermaet in a big way. Then McEwen leaned on Van Avermaet and VA went down catastrophically.

But Petacchi is not clear of fault at all.

fc
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
davidka said:
Petacchi did not swerve, he went to the barrier to force anyone that would pass to take the long way around. Van Avermet had already lost, he just didn't look up to see Petacchi coming over. If Petacchi had swerved erratically I could see it being his fault but he didn't.
There's a difference between guttering someone and cutting someone off. This was not guttering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,389 Posts
there's a fine..

iliveonnitro said:
There's a difference between guttering someone and cutting someone off. This was not guttering.
line between the two at 45mph....Petacchi moved left but it didn't appear out of the range of normal line derivations during the first kick of a sprint...I'm sure the riders behind him see it differently however...
he wasn't relegated by the officials....so it was within the rules...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
http://www.cyclingfans.com/

- Just in: Boonen foot not broken: Tom Boonen, involved in the sprint finish crash at yesterday's Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen, was examined today and has "heavy bruising" to his right wrist and foot but did not break any bones as was originally feared. But if he still has pain on Monday, more tests will be done. (source: Sporza)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Saw the pileup ten times now and all I can say is it's all Petacchi's fault. Guy sweeps to ten feet to the left during the sprint. That's bound to cross wheels with any guy behind him. No way for McEwen to avoid.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top