Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't he win? :(

Effed leadout, followed by just being out done by McEwen, followed by.... i don't know what the crap happened today...

C'mon, man! You can freaking do it!

BUT... he's in yellow. ;)

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
If you watch the stage, you'll see that there is a ton of climbing, even in the end. All the sprinters got dropped. There is no sense of a leadout too on this kind of finish.

Soo, a very good day for Boonen.

fc

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
francois said:
If you watch the stage, you'll see that there is a ton of climbing, even in the end. All the sprinters got dropped. There is no sense of a leadout too on this kind of finish.

Soo, a very good day for Boonen.

fc

heh. I'm not arguing that. I really want him to win. He's frikkin awesome.

·
Registered
650 Posts
without big trains of riders to drag the big sprinters up to speed (Boonan, maggi, Hushaud) does this play ionto the hand of Robbie who has never really had a team train to lead him out. He seams when there are no hills to be the guy who just "pick" the rider the follow and then pip them at the post. I think what im trying to say is an unorganised sprint is a good sprint for Robbie.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
slowdave said:
without big trains of riders to drag the big sprinters up to speed (Boonan, maggi, Hushaud) does this play ionto the hand of Robbie who has never really had a team train to lead him out. He seams when there are no hills to be the guy who just "pick" the rider the follow and then pip them at the post. I think what im trying to say is an unorganised sprint is a good sprint for Robbie.
Completely agree! Why couldn't quickstep organize a lead-out for Boonen, similar to the legendary lead-outs for Cippo and/or Petachhi? This was one way to counter McEwen - to have a super-fast "launch" of the leading sprinter.

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
slowdave said:
Yes Robbie doesn't rely on trains. He's good when the going gets tough - he just lingers in the background and then takes it! I agree he is best in unorganized situations.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
C'mon man! 5th?!? :(

How awesome would it be to have a sprint win with the yellow jersey?
I was hoping for it, however it seems he isn't as strong as he was at last years Tour. Too bad they didn't make the yellow jersey with WC stripes. That would have been sweet.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
some of Tom's boys have been suffering

including Pozzatto. Finishes have been tough, he got caught in front too early on one, today Robbie clearly got the jump before the final turn (a common McEwen tactic) and the Cauberg killed the sprinters on the other stage. (which agrees with the other poster)
Tom is doing fine, instead of being mad at Tom give props to Robbie who has shown to be the fastest and most resourceful sprinter at the tour. Had he not mistimed his first jump he'd already have 3 stages

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
I said it over there and I'll say it here again....

Today's stage had the type of finish that favors McEwen's agility, lower weight and explosive acceleration vs. Boonen's heavier straight line power. It's like a small block V8 vs. a big block V8 or Hemi Cuda vs. Porsche Carrera. Lead-out trains a la Cipollini and Petacchi don't always work best. Particularly on technical uphill/false flat finishes. Cipollini and Petacchi wouldn't win today's or yesterday's stages either.

...Plus Boonen is as much a marked man right now as it gets.

...Plus what ATP said. ATP knows his stuff.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
thx Rocco

Boonen is just pure unbridled explosive power. Kinda like tossing a NO2 into an engine already roaring.
Cippo, Alesaandro need a wind up. Their low end acceleration isn't the greatest but going from 'really fast to super fast' is their dominion. Kinda like an albatross.
Robbie is all snap and savvy. He's the RD-350 of cycling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.