Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is incredible... This dude wins EVERYTHING ! HE MUST be stopped !

Please please please Cycling Gods, send us another sprinter who can kick this Lion Cub's behind. This is getting ri-god-damn-dicilous !

Of course I am just kidding ! :D

Kudos to Tom for winning ... and even MORE Kudos for winning BIG! He will be the premier Belgian cyclist for the years to come. Can't wait to see if he repeats the Vlaanderen/Roubaix feat. I saw him last year woosh by at the Muur in Grammond, this year I will be at the cobbles near Roubaix to see the master at work.

Hope for George H though, but I fear if Boonen is fit he will crush the competition again.

Move over cycling schmenges, Tommy is in the House !

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
LSchoux said:
This is incredible... This dude wins EVERYTHING ! HE MUST be stopped !

Please please please Cycling Gods, send us another sprinter who can kick this Lion Cub's behind. This is getting ri-god-damn-dicilous !

Of course I am just kidding ! :D

Kudos to Tom for winning ... and even MORE Kudos for winning BIG! He will be the premier Belgian cyclist for the years to come. Can't wait to see if he repeats the Vlaanderen/Roubaix feat. I saw him last year woosh by at the Muur in Grammond, this year I will be at the cobbles near Roubaix to see the master at work.

Hope for George H though, but I fear if Boonen is fit he will crush the competition again.

Move over cycling schmenges, Tommy is in the House !

He has a real shot at winning the GC for PN and he's going to win Milan-San Remo. My gut is also telling me he won't win PR but he will one of the other northern cobbled classic.
On the other hand I'll probably only be half right. Only the road knows.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Might be right...

rocco said:
He has a real shot at winning the GC for PN and he's going to win Milan-San Remo. My gut is also telling me he won't win PR but he will one of the other northern cobbled classic.
You might be right about PR, it's hard to repeat that feat a couple of years in a row, but he'll most definitely be in the mix of things, that's for sure. I think he has a good chance at LBL and Flanders. For his team, Flanders would be the crown of the Spring season, for sure.. Those Flandarians love it when their guys win Flanders.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
magnolialover said:
You might be right about PR, it's hard to repeat that feat a couple of years in a row, but he'll most definitely be in the mix of things, that's for sure. I think he has a good chance at LBL and Flanders. For his team, Flanders would be the crown of the Spring season, for sure.. Those Flandarians love it when their guys win Flanders.

Yeah that's how I see it too. I wonder who's going to win PR then. It seems up for grabs to me. It'll be interesting to see how the forest will factor in this year now that it's been stabilized and being brought back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just looked at cycling news for the first time today.I thought I opened the link to yesterdays results when I saw Boonen won. :p

This guy is unbelievable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Boonen at Paris-Nice

rocco said:
I don't think Boonen has a chance of winning the GC at Paris-Nice. He's going to lose huge chunks of time on those categorized climbs. Bobby Julich is a much better climber and he's in second place on GC right now. He'd be my vote over Boonen.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
R.Rice said:
I just looked at cycling news for the first time today.I thought I opened the link to yesterdays results when I saw Boonen won. :p

This guy is unbelievable.

Same here. I had to do a double take.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
prs77 said:
I don't think Boonen has a chance of winning the GC at Paris-Nice. He's going to lose huge chunks of time on those categorized climbs. Bobby Julich is a much better climber and he's in second place on GC right now. He'd be my vote over Boonen.

As I mentioned in another related thread, TB won't win stages 3,5 and 7 but with no mountian top finishes and no more TTs I still think he has a shot at 1st on GC. Certainly Julich is the favorite though he did lose the services of CV today. Landis could move up too but we shall see. Only the road knows.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
To me it always looks like Boonen's sprint speed tops out at a considerable distance from the line. Petacchi on the other hand continues to pick up speed at a higher pace. I don't think he'll be able to beat him in MSR, unless the weather is miserable making the race unusually tough.

·
Banned
53 Posts
prs77 said:
I don't think Boonen has a chance of winning the GC at Paris-Nice. He's going to lose huge chunks of time on those categorized climbs.
Yeah because he's less of a climber, but also more importantly, and like he's quoted on CN today, because he won't kill himself with Milano-Sanremo coming up, which is a big objective.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
rocco said:
I think this(see below) will have something to say about that.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
divve said:
To me it always looks like Boonen's sprint speed tops out at a considerable distance from the line. Petacchi on the other hand continues to pick up speed at a higher pace. I don't think he'll be able to beat him in MSR, unless the weather is miserable making the race unusually tough.

We'll see.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
edraket said:
Yeah because he's less of a climber, but also more importantly, and like he's quoted on CN today, because he won't kill himself with Milano-Sanremo coming up, which is a big objective.

Good points.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I think this(see below) will have something to say about that.

Just to be clear, I never said he will win just that he has a shot and I've already said that he will not win stages 3,5 and 7 a few times already. Keep in mind that there are no mountain top finishes or TTs. We'll see.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Expert opinion"

I walked into my LBS yesaterday to pick up my serviced steed... and thus missed the end of the stage. I asked the guy "who won the stage?" and when he gave me the answer I almost fainted... "WHAT? AGAIN?" Is there anything stopping this dude?

The owner of the LBS told me that Tom will falter in the latter stages and probably already today he will not win. Tom is more of a 1-2 day-race guy so it's tough for him to hold up over a week.

We'll see today if he was right... :D

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
rocco said:
Just to be clear, I never said he will win just that he has a shot and I've already said that he will not win stages 3,5 and 7 a few times already. Keep in mind that there are no mountain top finishes or TTs. We'll see.
He was close today at 5+ minutes back.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
9 wins...

Boonen has 9 wins thus far this season. So when can we call an end to the curse of the rainbow jersey for him at least this season? Hell, it's only March, and he's got 9 in the coffers already. That's a great season for mere mortal riders for the most part. How many more wins can he take this year? 5? 10? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
188 Posts
like a lead balloon ...

... is how his trajectory will drop when:

a.) the spring classics begin in ernest and
b.) Ale-Jet/Milram enter the picture.

Milram is built to chase down breakaways from the likes of Bettini, if that is, in fact, the QS tactic. With Petacchi and Boonen gunning for each other every other week, I predict that there will be chances for "opportunists" to sneak in some solid finishes at their expense, and that Boonen will end up with 3 more wins this season.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Not so sure about that...

wheezer said:
... is how his trajectory will drop when:

a.) the spring classics begin in ernest and
b.) Ale-Jet/Milram enter the picture.

Milram is built to chase down breakaways from the likes of Bettini, if that is, in fact, the QS tactic. With Petacchi and Boonen gunning for each other every other week, I predict that there will be chances for "opportunists" to sneak in some solid finishes at their expense, and that Boonen will end up with 3 more wins this season.
I'm not so sure about that.

Boonen will most likely win one of the cobbled classics where Ale-Jet will not even remotely be a factory. LBL, GW, PR, Flanders, there are some chances there. If Bettini does hop away during MSR, look for Milram to chase him down, which leaves Boonen where? Sitting behind the draft, his team out of the wind, and the Milram guys chasing Il Grillo down. What happens then? Boonen has a very good lead out train of his own, Milram is tired, QS takes over. It's possible. Either way, QS wins. Bettini wins out of a small break, or Boonen wins in a small sprint. There will also be good chances for Boonen to take wins at le Tour this year. I put his total this year at another 7-10 races that he could win (smaller races count as well). So I think 3 is a few too many, but maybe 3 BIG wins, yeah, that I could get behind. I do agree, some opportunists could get in there while QS and Milram are fighting out for sprint wins, and don't forget McEwen, he's got a pretty darn good lead out and sprint as well, well, at least when he's doing it legally. He could be a factor. Then there's Alan Davis, Stuey O'Grady, and a few others that could get in there with the right conditions at the finish. For certain Petacchi and Boonen are the top kids on the block, but so far Boonen can do something that Petacchi can't. Win solo or get into a breakaway. Petacchi can win without his train as we saw last year, but he's more in the mold of Cipo, and Boonen can win through a variety of conditions. Petacchi has the highest top end though, he's the fastest guy out there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts