Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· What offseason?
Joined
·
534 Posts
TheDon said:
at least it's not PED's.
Sure it is... it's not EPO, but Cocaine is a stimulant, and has been an element in the concoctions doping cyclists have used to make them faster for a long time. If the story is true and Boonen can't pull a Simoni to get out of it, he'll be out of the sport for 2 years.
 

· What offseason?
Joined
·
534 Posts
Bertrand said:
Not a rumour. It's reported in cyclingnews.com. It looks like he's in very deep doo doo.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/jun08/jun10news
I'm not saying it is any more or less credible, but cyclingnews is just getting the info from the original Belgian source that the OP used. It may be a rumor, it may not, but cyclingnews doesn't have any info that we didn't already have.

It's interesting... L'Equipe has a front page story about Boonen, but it's nothing to do with doping...
http://translate.google.com/transla...Cyclisme/index.html&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=fr&tl=en
 

· Daylight Fading
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
It came 3 days prior to the start of a race

So it's not an "in race" positive. If true, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him, both the team and the UCI. If true, I'd bet that he's not going to the TdF....right?

BT
 

· ab aeterno
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
gray8110 said:
Sure it is... it's not EPO, but Cocaine is a stimulant, and has been an element in the concoctions doping cyclists have used to make them faster for a long time. If the story is true and Boonen can't pull a Simoni to get out of it, he'll be out of the sport for 2 years.
I'm sure this was more used as a leisure drug than as performance enhancing. I don't think it will tarnish the sport like it would if it was EPO or steroids.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
eyebob said:
So it's not an "in race" positive. If true, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him, both the team and the UCI. If true, I'd bet that he's not going to the TdF....right?

BT
Those damn underage hotties he's shagging probably got it for him and led him down that road.
 

· ab aeterno
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Here what's I just found.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/10/sports/EU-SPT-CYC-Boonen-Drugs.php


""It seems that it wouldn't be any violation of our rules because in out-of-competition tests cocaine is not a forbidden substance, for the WADA Code and the UCI anti-doping rules," UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said from Switzerland.

"There are time limits for out-of-competition tests. Three days before a race is considered out of competition. If you take cocaine one day before a race you will test positive," he added.

Carpani said the UCI had not been officially notified of the drugs test.

The World Anti-Doping Agency classifies cocaine as a stimulant on the official prohibited list but it is only prohibited if the substance is taken in-competition, WADA spokesman Frederic Donze said in a telephone interview."

So it looks like not much will happen through UCI.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheDon said:
Here what's I just found.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/10/sports/EU-SPT-CYC-Boonen-Drugs.php


""It seems that it wouldn't be any violation of our rules because in out-of-competition tests cocaine is not a forbidden substance, for the WADA Code and the UCI anti-doping rules," UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said from Switzerland.

"There are time limits for out-of-competition tests. Three days before a race is considered out of competition. If you take cocaine one day before a race you will test positive," he added.

Carpani said the UCI had not been officially notified of the drugs test.

The World Anti-Doping Agency classifies cocaine as a stimulant on the official prohibited list but it is only prohibited if the substance is taken in-competition, WADA spokesman Frederic Donze said in a telephone interview."

So it looks like not much will happen through UCI.
Wow, that is pretty interesting. Take as much blow as you like, just don't do it during a race.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,177 Posts
i'd say he's safe by the skin of his teeth. His reputation is taking big hits though.
his girlfriend isn't yet 18 years old. He has two dwi's within a couple months, and this is the second allegation of cocaine.
Michael Ball will be fueling up the ole company jet and flyin to talk to tomeke soon!
Boonen and Cedric Benson have a lot in common.
 

· ab aeterno
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
bigpinkt said:
Wow, that is pretty interesting. Take as much blow as you like, just don't do it during a race.
Yeah i thought so too. I guess cause it doesn't have long term consequences? I wonder if they feel the same way about THC or any other "common" drugs.


Side note since I know you know more than I do. Does alcohol count as a drug during a race? Just curious cause I know that in NCAA caffeine in high enough amounts can warrant a suspension.
 

· Yo no fui.
Joined
·
8,486 Posts
Unreleased quotes from Boonen's next interview:

"In Belgium, first you get the power, then you get the money, then you get the women."

"Say hello to my little friend."
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Pablo said:
Unreleased quotes from Boonen's next interview:

"In Belgium, first you get the power, then you get the money, then you get the women."

"Say hello to my little friend."
You forgot this quote from Boonen's next interview:

"What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of fu**in' ***holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fu**in' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!"
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top