Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm imagining two Specialized marketing guys in a bar last night. One says, "What do you suppose the ROI would be if we offered Boonen $50k for each Belgian win while riding discs?" The other one says, "Hey, what if we offered it to Sagan, too?"

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Exactly.

The public doesn't know the existence of "performance-based pay".

Most consumers don't care. They want a bike that stops.

The negatives for them: bike racks that can bend a rotor, noise when wearing in.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
One of the Bora guys was riding discs during a TDU training ride:

That god awful noise.

Surely the mechanics are smart enough to figure that out before letting them race on them.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've read some rumors that BMC will be riding the new RoadMachine RM-01 in the classics this year. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
One of the Bora guys was riding discs during a TDU training ride:

That god awful noise.

Surely the mechanics are smart enough to figure that out before letting them race on them.

Looks like the person is riding a rim brake bike, campy doesn't have road disc out yet and those are not the hydro levers they've shown. And if you are referring to the person on a disc bike next to the camera bike, the guy didn't come to a stop.

My disc brakes make no noise except for when the rotors get wet, and that goes away pretty quick.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sagan had 2 x Venge Disc bikes here in Adelaide. Although he didn't race either I believed he used one in training and the one with the bling gold wheels was more for show, but I saw video of him riding it around the Tour Village doing wheelies on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW, Boonen won on his disc equipped Venge today. He suggested it was the first pro win on them at the world tour level.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've read some rumors that BMC will be riding the new RoadMachine RM-01 in the classics this year. I'm interested to see how it plays out.
BMC will definitely be racing the RM-01. It will be matte red. There are pictures out there if you look for them. My guess is that multiple teams will test disc brake road bikes in the cobbled races. Expect to see Sagan on the new Roubaix there as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
FWIW, Boonen won on his disc equipped Venge today. He suggested it was the first pro win on them at the world tour level.
Yep, and he pointed out on an Insta comment that he wasn't being paid to say discs were better - he meant it. I also read a comment that he was undecided between the Venge and the Roubaix for Pari - Roubaix, he needs to do more testing on the Venge, but if it goes ok, he would prefer to be on the Venge.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Kittel did not touch his brakes and took first. I rode my usual 20 mi loop today and did not touch my caliper brakes and took first in the 10 mile time trial for the day. 1st of 3 actually. Two of my friends rode it earlier today but I beat them. Not bad since I am 40 years older then they are. I am actually getting faster which is weird. I have been hiking in the mountains a lot this year and I think that pushing hard walking up 2000 ft climbs is making a difference. I should have been doing that all along.

Anyway I do like disc brakes and all the new stuff. I just do not want to buy stuff unless I need it. I doubt I will be in the Amjen tour so I am going to skip gearing up for it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Kittel did acknowledge that a flat sprinters stage is hardly the place for braking, but he did also say that if Pro's tried them on a long descent or in the rain that they would notice the benefits.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
when the aero road wheels are designed without brake tracks and with through axels then the truw advantages will be seen. Right now its mostly all converted rim brake wheels.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Kittel did not touch his brakes and took first.
Exactly, which proves that disc brakes will not make your bike less aero and too heavy for racing. Kittel wins on discs 2 days in a row in a race where brakes are pointless and aero/efficiency is all important. So basically they provided no advantage, but were not a disadvantage either. Once Kittel and Boonen get into races with descents and rainy weather, those discs will start to shine.

I bet Sagan is going to be on them in races soon as well. The dude loves to attack a descent and discs will only make him faster and more aggressive going downhill.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.