Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you're out there. After growing up striving to avoid developing any of my father's rediculous cleaning/organizing habits, I fear that the road bike has finally dragged me over to the dark side. It was bad enough for my first year and a half or so in the sport, and then i was fretting over a second hand litespeed classic I grabbed on e-bay. With a new Orbea Opal in the garrage...ok, fine, so it's in my bedroom...I don't seem to have a chance.

Who has some good cleaning tricks? Any innovators out there using something other than the typical toothbrush and ripped up towel that "dissapeared from the hamper"?

Thankfully I have access to a gunk tank and a shop with air compressor lines all over the place which come in pretty handy. The compressor is something i will never be able to do without. Any bike cleaning nut who doesn't have one, i strongly reccomend it.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,951 Posts
If you're worried about being an anal retentive bike cleaner, then you're not there yet.... There's nothing wrong with shiny clean bike!

My personal favorite is to wipe down the rims with an alcohol wipe after each ride. Gets all the icky gunk off.

Happy cleaning!

·
Banned
608 Posts
racheln said:
Q-tips really help get in the small spots on the cassette.
Good gawd, what a pain. I just don't get this. I see riders all the time who look like they spend more time polishing their bikes than riding them.

During the off season I tear all my bikes and wheelsets down, clean, lube, and repack everything. From then on, aside from chain maintenance, any given bike is lucky to be cleaned monthly. It's just not worth the time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Good gawd, what a pain. I just don't get this. I see riders all the time who look like they spend more time polishing their bikes than riding them.

During the off season I tear all my bikes and wheelsets down, clean, lube, and repack everything. From then on, aside from chain maintenance, any given bike is lucky to be cleaned monthly. It's just not worth the time.
It doesn't take that long if you keep up with it - just a few minutes after a ride a few times a week. I don't think you can generalize that just because a bike is clean, it is not ridden. It is a shame to spend $$$ on a bike and to have it running around looking like a pig.... a darn shame. As I tell the Mrs, a clean bike is a happy bike.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Same here....

Dave Hickey said:
I clean my bikes after every ride...I can't tell you the times I've noticed a chunk of glass in the tire or a loose spoke when cleaning my bike. Cleaning a bike goes a long way toward preventing breakdowns on the road
...I clean mine after every ride.Wipe the frame down with a damp cloth to get all the surface dirt off. If it was a messy ride I use a wet rag and wipe down the frame and then dry it off with a towel.Wipe the wheels with a wet rag and dry them off. I also use rubbing alcohol on the rims to clean off the road grime that gets on the braking surface;same with the brake pads.I also clean the tires with a wet rag to get off the dirt. Many times I have taken a piece of glass or stone from the tire that would have caused a future flat. To finish off the job I wipe it down with a soft cloth that I spray Lemon Pledge on to give it a shine with a lemony fresh scent. If you keep the frame waxed the dirt doesn't stick and it becomes easy to clean it.Takes 10 to 15 minutes to do this.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I LOVE to buy stuff from you anal-retentive types... Thing's are generally well taken care of for not a lot of $$ since y'all are usually chasing the next 'bestest thing.'

Me? I was the bikes about every other weekend, or after a rain ride*. It seems to be a nice compromise between dirty as hades and anal-retentive clean.

*If I KNOW its gonna rain on me multiple days in a row, I'll wait till the rain's over first.

HTH,

M

·
Banned
662 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:

Some people have expensive machines. When was the last time I saw a Ferrari on the road
that needed a wash? Never. I can wipe my dream-ride down whenever while my mind is being drained by the TV.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh WOW. I didnt realize there were so many of me out there. I wipe the frame down every ride. The chain, cassette and chain rings come off every 100 miles or so. The chain never gets lubed on the bike, always off it, too much lube and the cassette gets gunky quick and ive found myself even wiping the head tube of the frame when on a ride if its dusty.

Oh help. I need the quack.

·
rigger
13 Posts
Cleaning

I'm a hypocrite here I rarely clean my bike. I know i should, but you cant employ the Welsh like California employs Mexicans!(J for joke) When i do, those dudy brushes with the hooks for getting crud from between cogs are ace. At the risk of advertising I love "muc-off" for cleaning, it cuts through petrol gunk brilliantly. Re lube, I am a recent convert to "Purple Extreme" see reviews in cycling plus, and many other mags. Expensive? maybe, but i say buy cheap buy twice, ask any shimano rider.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Some people have expensive machines. When was the last time I saw a Ferrari on the road that needed a wash?
Some us do, and some of us buy them to ride them. I don't need to clean my bike five to seven times a freakin' week. Bad examples with the Ferrari; most U.S. Ferrari owners hardly even drive their cars. That's why you can pick a used one up that is in immaculate condition, even if it is twenty years old.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Some us do, and some of us buy them to ride them. I don't need to clean my bike five to seven times a freakin' week. Bad examples with the Ferrari; most U.S. Ferrari owners hardly even drive their cars. That's why you can pick a used one up that is in immaculate condition, even if it is twenty years old.
Your response is not logical.
1. I doubt you know most of the U.S. Ferrari drivers you claim you know.
2. Not everybody needs to clean their bike 5-7 times "a freakin week"
3. A Ferrari in immaculate condition translates to the type of person that would
care enough for their investment and keep it in mint condition. Not how many miles it
has been driven.

But you are correct on one point. Some people buy them to ride them, and when they
break down, they yell for a tow truck.:rolleyes:

·
rigger
13 Posts
Italy

I'm British. I know it's a long way to Italy, yes Japan is on the way from the USA but when you get to Marenello there is a better factory shop than Ferrari. Remember Lance nearly doubled the amount of time dodgy shimano was the txmn of a tour winner. Campag is the way forward. (fuse lit, cue music, "Good morning Mr Phelps) :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.