Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, the racing season opened in NJ. I did my first Cat. 3 race. Not much to report. My plan was to just stay in the draft, out of trouble, and gain experience. It was a combined cat.1,2,&3 race so I wasn't gonna be able to do too much more anyway.

I executed my plan to perfection and was able to stay in the front 3rd throughout the race. Surges came and went and I was digging deep at times. In the end, I just rolled in with the pack, HR pegged and legs blown. Ahhhh...It's race season again!!! ;)

On a side note, I coincidentally parked behind "Critlover". She too, was kicking off her season. She worked herself into a 3-woman break that stayed away. I missed her finsh so I don't know what her margin of victory was. :)

Here she is with 2 laps to go:

·
Registered
28 Posts
early season success!

Well, my race was pretty exciting, at least from the perspective of being in the break. It formed just after the first lap. After a flurry of attacks, two riders had a 15 second gap. Everyone started looking around at each other and I decided, it's now or never. So I launched an all out sprint, bridging fairly quick(we had a tailwind), although I was sure I brought the whole field with me. I turned around, and there was no one. I was like "Holy S---! I'm in the break!" So I tried to get the others to do short pulls until we had a safe gap, but no one listened. Luckily, the two strongest girls left in the pack were teammates of one in the break, so the chase wasn't well organized.

A few laps later, the girl in the shot you took was suffering pretty bad, and the other girl asked if we should drop her. Now, I don't know if I was wrong, but I thought if she wasn't faking, which I didn't think she was since she kept opening up gaps when she got back in the paceline, then she won't be in contention in the end and can't hurt us if she's not slowing us down. So, I answered no, and in the end, she got third so I guess I was right. But I'm still wondering... was that the best decision? Or should we have just dropped her and eliminated any chance? Couldn't that of decreased our chances too?

Then they screwed up our laps. With 3 to go they posted 2 (thanks a lot!), and then when it came down to what we thought was the sprint, we realized we hadn't heard the bell. One kilometer to go, and we're like "What should we do?" Of course, I replied that I was sprinting anyway, and if we were wrong, we would just keep going. Luckily, another girl said check your mileage, which I did, and it showed that we had one more lap to go. SO we get the bell lap, split the pulls evenly up until the last 500 meters when we turned into the wind. I grabbed a wheel (sat in a little longer since the wind would shorten the sprint), began to wind it up and then came out of the draft, beating them both by a few lenghts. Needless to say, I was thrilled, and it gave me the payoff for all the hard work I've done this winter.

Sorry I couldn't stick around to watch your field finish. I couldn't believe how big a group showed up for the first race of the year... I thought I heard there was like 80 guys! I could be wrong, but it was a big and fast pack nonetheless. I was getting pretty cold in my sweaty clothes so I had to split. I'll be back next week since our first collegiate race starts right after the Pro123 finishes. Glad to see another RBR member... maybe we could get some RBR window decals made up so we can find each other! Thanks for the shot Ben!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a boring report afterall...

Congrats on the win!!! I should be there again next week.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
the right call

CritLover,
As you said she wasn't slowing you down so you really had nothing to loose this early in the season by not dropping her. Later in the season might make for a different answer. She might be working on setup and fit issues and might have been working out a kink or cramp or muscle coldness. If she was having troubles and was still keeping up with you two then I'd suggest she may be a contender once she gets herself figured out.

Besides, if you had dropped her she might have dropped back, might have been able to rally the pack, got a few of them enthused, and might have reeled the two of you back in.

Congratulations on the win.

And Ben,
there is nothing wrong or boring at all with having a plan, sticking to it, and having it work out exactly as planned this early in the season. Stubbornness and determination can at times be a great asset.

Now, temps are up here, snow and ice are melting, rain forecast for today to help wash the winter chem/salt debris off the roadways, and even though the temps are supposed to drop again later this week at least things are starting to look good weatherwise. Now I just have to find a way to convince my Mrs. that it's okay to slow down on the house remodeling and start working/tuning on the bicycles in the basement. Our first races are in April, so us Wisconsin folks are just a little envyous of you peeples who are out riding and racing already. Keep them reports coming. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.