Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 year old cat. He's getting up there and he's made it this long, I figured he wouldn't mind if I borrowed a couple of his 9 lives....
It turned nice out today so instead of doing a test run on my winter rain bike, I take out my Merckx 753 for nice 40 mile'r. I am going down this one steep windy hairpin corner hill (for you Seattle people, this is the road down to Golden Gardens park) that has a couple spots where you really have to keep your eye on the pavement as it's not in the best of shape, and there is a 10 ft long lengthwise 3 in wide by 3 in deep gash in the road you need to keep track of. anyway, I'm following a car down this hill and I'm cruising along close to 30 mph (at this point a safe distance behind), now I'm looking at the pavement. Something catches my eye and I look up and it's the car ahead of me flat out stopped!
Well it's stopped for a pedestrian with a dog. No kidding, I'm riding right past a dog park so this should come as no surprise to me. Anyway i'm slamming on the brakes desperately trying to think my way out of this mess that I just got myself into and I apply too much rear brake and the rear starts to go sideways. I recover and let off the rear brakes and for some reason (thank you kitty) I don't run straight into the back of the car ahead of me. That would have been ugly. Anyway, I stop at the dog park entrance down below a bit and check for damage. I really thought I had ruined my rear tire which is almost brand new. The tire is fine so I didn't really skid very much, but the rear rim is way out of true. I buy a spoke wrench and try to true it up but it's a no go so I widen the pads and continue my ride.
When I get home I read up a bit on how to fix this and the suggestion that I actually used was to take the wheel, locate the "wow" and bang it firmly on my shop floor, check it, then bang it again. Well it seems to have fixed it. I haven't gone for another ride and I suspect that there may be some more truing after the next ride but it does look pretty good now.
Moral of the story? Pay attention and just like a car, don't go faster than you can stop. This was totally my fault. I only hope my kat doesn't miss those lives that I surely took from him today. It was a little scarry. He gets tuna fish tonight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Erm... I spent most of my errant childhood locking up rear tires. It won't make a wheel go out of true. So unless you hit something your wheel wasn't true to begin with.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I'm so glad this wasn't a "I went azz over teakettle into the back of the car and now I'm a bloody mess" thread. Good job. Kitty will not miss those lives, as long as payment is in tuna. :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
opps

I could of hit something, I don't know. My attention was no focused on the rear wheel. I can say that when the bike started to go sideways a bit, it felt like something was flexing and (after the fact) I figured it was the rim. As stated, a couple of smart raps on the ground got it to with-in adjusting limits. It's fine now but it's very possible I did hit something with the reat tire when it was going sideways.
heffergm said:
Erm... I spent most of my errant childhood locking up rear tires. It won't make a wheel go out of true. So unless you hit something your wheel wasn't true to begin with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
glad you're ok. accidents suck, i am still getting over being hit back in march. the threads that end in tales of contact do not help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts